Jump to content
  • 0

GSuite RIP, No More Unlimited


jaynew
 Share

Question

So today Google announced GSuite is being rebranded Workspace, and with that unlimited storage options go enterprise only - minimum of 300 users for an enterprise account.

I called support and they claim that the data we have up there already will stay after the transition on 15JAN2021, but we won't be able to upload any new files. Just able to read the data.

My question then becomes - can StableBit CloudDrive work in read-only mode with a cloud provider?

If we're not uploading any new data, will the program allow us to read from Google correctly without writing to Google?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
On 10/6/2020 at 9:27 AM, jaynew said:

So today Google announced GSuite is being rebranded Workspace, and with that unlimited storage options go enterprise only - minimum of 300 users for an enterprise account.

I called support and they claim that the data we have up there already will stay after the transition on 15JAN2021, but we won't be able to upload any new files. Just able to read the data.

My question then becomes - can StableBit CloudDrive work in read-only mode with a cloud provider?

If we're not uploading any new data, will the program allow us to read from Google correctly without writing to Google?

Another question is, does anyone have another provider comparable or better to gdrive? In terms of costs and quotas?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

It looks like Google's Enterprise Standard plan still has unlimited for even a single user for $20 a month. So this change appears to be little more than a price increase for people who were previously using their unlimited business plan. That remains, to my knowledge, the only provider comparable to Google's own previous plan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 10/12/2020 at 8:29 PM, JulesTop said:

Another question is, does anyone have another provider comparable or better to gdrive? In terms of costs and quotas?

Dropbox has an offer of unlimited space "dropbox business advanced" but at least 3 useres have to pay. I opend in off-topic a thread, where I already aked if someone is willing to team up for a dropbox business advanced account or another unlimited space provider.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 10/17/2020 at 7:22 PM, Simon83 said:

Dropbox has an offer of unlimited space "dropbox business advanced" but at least 3 useres have to pay. I opend in off-topic a thread, where I already aked if someone is willing to team up for a dropbox business advanced account or another unlimited space provider.

 

Hi Simon,  good idea.... I think box.com is cheaper ?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 10/15/2020 at 6:32 PM, srcrist said:

It looks like Google's Enterprise Standard plan still has unlimited for even a single user for $20 a month. So this change appears to be little more than a price increase for people who were previously using their unlimited business plan. That remains, to my knowledge, the only provider comparable to Google's own previous plan.

I can confirm you can upgrade to the enterprise plan with 1 user for 20 bucks and it includes unlimited storage, you can do it through your admin console > add subscription. It will show your old plan and allow you to upgrade to any of the new ones including enterprise.

Enterprise also seemed to remove the user limit. 

https://workspace.google.com/pricing.html

"Business Starter, Business Standard, and Business Plus plans can be purchased for a maximum of 300 users. There is no minimum or maximum user limit for Enterprise plans."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Bumping this a little instead of starting a new one..

I'm still running GSuite Business with same unlimited storage as before. I've heard some people have been urged to upgrade by Google, but I haven't gotten any mails or anything. I wonder if I'm grandfathered in perhaps.

On 12/4/2020 at 11:47 PM, Kraevin said:

Enterprise also seemed to remove the user limit. 

Actually, they didn't:
image.png.5c2f660c5ef2411321431d61c407e6fb.png

 

If they did, I'd just upgrade to have everything proper. I have 2 users now, as there was rumors late-2020 that Google were gonna clean up single users soon who were "abusing" their limits (by a lot) but leave those with 2 or more alone. I guess that's a possible reason I may not have heard anything as well. 2 business users is just a tad above what I'd have to pay for a single enterprise std. The process looks simple, but so far I haven't had a reason to do anything ..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 2/19/2021 at 6:38 PM, Thronic said:

Bumping this a little instead of starting a new one..

I'm still running GSuite Business with same unlimited storage as before. I've heard some people have been urged to upgrade by Google, but I haven't gotten any mails or anything. I wonder if I'm grandfathered in perhaps.

Actually, they didn't:
image.png.5c2f660c5ef2411321431d61c407e6fb.png

 

If they did, I'd just upgrade to have everything proper. I have 2 users now, as there was rumors late-2020 that Google were gonna clean up single users soon who were "abusing" their limits (by a lot) but leave those with 2 or more alone. I guess that's a possible reason I may not have heard anything as well. 2 business users is just a tad above what I'd have to pay for a single enterprise std. The process looks simple, but so far I haven't had a reason to do anything ..

I live in Germany and I paniced a litte, as I read about tha change, so planned, what to do, when they would push me to change, but nothing happend since then. Seems, google is just google. And I like them for that :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

AFAIK only major reseller receive order to migrate their customer to Workspace.

If you are a single user on a GSuite Business plan, no one received any information to migrate except an email stating that we are not forced to move yet but a migration plan will be communicated someday. It's been over 6 months now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I received the email below on November 17, 2021 from Google stating that I would need to make the transition from GSuite to Workspace by January 31, 2022, otherwise they would automatically make the change for me.  I currently pay for a single user on G Suite Business with about 12TB of data uploaded, and I'm concerned that they will enforce the 1TB limit on Workspace Enterprise Standard for less than 5 users.  Can anyone comment on this?

Screenshot 2021-11-22 090140.png

Screenshot 2021-11-22 090025.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
13 minutes ago, Rmiles403 said:

I received the email below on November 17, 2021 from Google stating that I would need to make the transition from GSuite to Workspace by January 31, 2022, otherwise they would automatically make the change for me.  I currently pay for a single user on G Suite Business with about 12TB of data uploaded, and I'm concerned that they will enforce the 1TB limit on Workspace Enterprise Standard for less than 5 users.  Can anyone comment on this?

 

I got the same mail a few days ago and the change to Workspace Enterprise Standard with a single user was entirely painless, just changing from "more services" under invoicing. I have 22 TB and everything still works like usual.

It seems Google support evade the question as much as possible, or try not to directly answer it. I personally interpret is as they want the business as long as it doesn't get abused too much. Only people I've heard about being limited or cancelled are those closing in on petabytes of data.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...