Scanner lost all data?

thepregnantgod

Question

23 answers to this question

Thanks, @Wiidesire!  Your discovery looks like it might solve the root problem for a number of threads, including the ones I've enumerated below, where I've added a duplicate of this post to help close the loop.  According to Christopher, Beta version 2.5.4.3246 addresses and fixed this CDIDW (constant Diskid write) issue by increasing the interval from once every second, allowing shutdowns and upgrades with low risk of corrupting the Diskid files and losing scanning history.

A useful new Scanner feature, now that the program has effective settings backup and restore, would be automatic backups, for example, weekly. That way, a backup that would more accurately reflect the scanned state of drives might exist when needed. (Manual backups are less likely to have been made within the last scheduled scan window; thus, even though disk names and other settings can be restored, scan history may be older causing new scans of all disks.)

https://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/3831-scanner-lost-all-data/

https://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/4099-stablebit-scanner-loses-all-settings-on-unexpected-shutdowns/

https://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/4265-scanner-2543216-upgrade-loses-my-setups/

https://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/3707-bug-prior-scan-data-and-settings-not-preserved-on-update/

The drives that it already checked you can manually mark as good, to have it skip those.

• Click the + on the left of each known good drive to pop them open
  • Click the small down triangle next to the swirling green arrow icon
  • Choose "Mark all unchecked blocks good"

That will skip the re-check of each drive that you know completed successfully.  You'll be back to just the one drive left.  Some of the file systems on them will re-check of course, but after a hang that's a good preventative measure anyhow.

Well, based on the number of drives on the server, and the fact that 37 out of 38 had checked clean (and even part of the last one was clean), you may simply opt to use the manual procedure to mark all of them clean.  There's less than a 2.7% chance that you have bad block(s) on the last unchecked drive (100/37).

I'm also not entirely certain, but I think Scanner keeps information on the drives in the "C:\ProgramData\StableBit Scanner\Service\Store" folder.  You could check that for Windows file history and see if there was a copy of the folder made recently.  If so, stop the Scanner service, copy the current \Store folder elsewhere to back it up, and then restore the folder from Windows file history, then restart the Scanner service to see if status on the drives changes.  If not, blow the folder away and replace with the good recent copy you manually made.

I was just watching Plex right now when it suddenly started to buffer, it never does that, ever....

I check the server next and loads of activity going and it acting all kinds of sluggish. I start scanner and notice it has reset all settings and all 10 drives suddenly marked as not checked ever. 

3 minutes ago, Thronic said:

I was just watching Plex right now when it suddenly started to buffer, it never does that, ever....

I check the server next and loads of activity going and it acting all kinds of sluggish. I start scanner and notice it has reset all settings and all 10 drives suddenly marked as not checked ever. 

Are you sure their surface check data didn't just age past the "Check readable / unchecked every X days" number in the preferences area?  It'll do it automatically depending on the Work Window settings under the General tab.  i.e. if set to "Perform work at any time of the day" and set to 90 days, any scan data aging to 90+ days will trigger a new surface scan on that drive.

Also - turning on "Scan using Background I/O priority" and "Do not interfere with disk access" (higher sensitivity means less drive competition/thrashing) can help with the buffering in other apps.

Well their status is "Last scanned: Never" which is very wrong. And the heat limit I had set on C drive was reset as well.

After closer look, it seems the server had rebooted. A look in event viewer indicates unexpected shutdown.

... something with volmgr failing to create dump file right after that, relevant to a HarddiskVolume24. 

Still working it out... 

8 minutes ago, Thronic said:

Not even allowed to mark them as healthy since I know they are, it's greyed out. That's great.

Usually you can toggle them unhealthy and then healthy one after the other, which gets around that.

It sounds like Scanner lost settings on the crash/reboot.  If you check "Enable Advanced Settings and Troubleshooting", a new selection appears in the Settings drop-down.  In the Advanced Settings area you can now use "Backup settings" and "Restore settings" in case this ever happens.

Further investigation shows  a failure from winsrv.dll telling event log that ProcessID 872(???) tried to read memory at X address that could not be read. Obvously this was bad enough to cause Win 10 Pro to reboot hardcore style and I guess this is what also cause Scanner to suddenly develop Alzheimer. I wonder if it could have been Scanner itself doing something weird...

A few minutes or so before I did a test for Drashna to collect read striping information regarding a bug when syncing with rclone. Maybe something from this got stuck or worse "under the hood". I'd love to hear from Drashna when Alex or whoever gets around to look at those logs. 

If not I'm not sure wth happened, and those are the system errors I hate the most, the ones I have no idea how happened.

My server hung the other day too, probably had it running for far too long.  After a reboot I checked scanner to have it do file system checks, and noticed -all- of the data on the drives was gone.  Surface scan data, file system scan data, enclosure location....  all of it reset to nothing.

Seems like there's a general problem with the integrity of customer data in this regard.  Sure I can do a manual backup of that stuff, if I remember to every time I change something.  But I probably won't.  Some type of redundancy and/or data protection scheme would be good to have.

I've been noticing this as well several times with V. 2.5.4.3216 in a VM when it restarts.  I thought this was somewhat related to the thread for preserving data when upgrading, because I thought the json methodology would keep this problem from happening when a machine was turned off or crashed.  (I referenced this thread over there as well.)  Anyway, the backup/restore settings function works well, especially now that it uses one zip file.  But...but...but... if you haven't backed up recently, your scanning history will be older than the 30-day rescan default, and all the disks will need to rescan.

I am using 3220 BETA but I've had to press the reset button on my Server a few times (it became unresponsive and the power button did not shut it down, wonder how I can analyze/diagnose this...). After boot, Scanner lost all settings and scan history. Each time.

Edit: In Event Viewer, I do see Scanner throwing an Event after each such reboot. Want me to submit an error report somehow/where?
Edit2: I wonder whether it could have something to do with using Bitlocker? DP waits a while, right? Maybe Scanner tries to access the disks to early?

If the system is locking up like that, then this may work:
http://wiki.covecube.com/System_Freeze

Though, it's possible that it may not. 

As for Scanner losing the settings after this, it sounds like the settings are getting corrupted.  
And BitLocker shouldn't affect this. I'm using BitLocker on my system, without any issues.