Scanner 2.5.4.3216 "upgrade" loses my setups!

GDog

Question

Last night, I decided to upgrade from Scanner 2.5.1.3062 (wssx) to Scanner 2.5.4.3216 (exe). At first, the install failed and told me I needed to UN-install the prior version before I could proceed with the upgrade to 2.5.4.3216 (exe). So I did this from the Dashboard (Remove Add-in). Afterward, it did not ask me to reboot, so I didn't, thinking my current configs would more likely be preserved than if I did. The RE-Reinstall went OK with no errors and it reported the install as "Successful". After running the new version for the first time, I immediately noticed that ALL (100%) of my Disk Settings were GONE - the Custom Names and Locations, which I had painstakingly created so I could tell my disks apart from one another. This is important, since (1) I have 27 Disks, (2) most of my disks are WD Reds  and (3) my old Supermicro PCI-X controllers are not reporting the correct serial numbers using the Sonnet driver I must use with them to allow disks greater than 2TB. I have always relied on Scanner to be able to locate the correct Disk that might need to be removed! 

I would seriously like to NOT have to go through that whole process again, SO ... is there any way to recover this information BACK into Scanner? PLUS, I am concerned that this is now going to happen every time I upgrade to a newer version. Is it?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide. Really appreciate it!

Gary

9 answers to this question

You can find the beta version here:
http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWindows/beta/download/StableBit.Scanner_2.5.4.3246_BETA.exe

On 4/19/2019 at 7:42 PM, GDogTech said:

Mick Mickie:  Thanks for jumping in Mick! Christopher just said "Crashes", so I thought the "Fix" might not help me. I don't usually upgrade to Beta versions of anything, but in this case I think I might make an exception. I was just upgrading to sort of get away from the built-in wssx versions in preparation for my upcoming move to Server 2016 Essentials.

Again, thanks!

Gary

Crashes definitely. But I'm sure there are other cases that the behavior could be triggered in, too.  Shutting down would definitely be one of them. 

Hi Christopher!

I tried that already but there is no JSON folder in the .wssx version I upgraded FROM. I discovered your thread from July 2018 AFTER I posted this, sorry about that.

Gary

Christopher:  So do you have any other ideas I can try? I really do not want to, nor should I have to, re-do everything at each upgrade, don't you agree?

Thanks Christopher,
Gary

I have a better option: 
http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWindows/beta/download/StableBit.Scanner_2.5.4.3246_BETA.exe

WIth the help of one user, we were able to pinpoint the issue, and this shouldn't happen in the future.

Specifically, the issue was:

* DiskIds were being updated too frequently (every second).
    - If your system crashed during a DiskId write, there was a chance that the DiskId file would get corrupted which 
      would lead to a settings loss for that disk (scan history, disk name / location, etc...).

Thanks for getting back to me. However:

1. I don't think my WHS2011 system has EVER crashed - not once!. It hung up once, but it was MY fault. I only reboot it when the MS Updates tell me I have to.
  2. I did't lose just SOME of my Disk settings, I lost ALL of them - 100%!

Do you still think that cause would apply to me?

Gary

On 4/18/2019 at 12:45 AM, GDogTech said:

Thanks for getting back to me. However:

1. I don't think my WHS2011 system has EVER crashed - not once!. It hung up once, but it was MY fault. I only reboot it when the MS Updates tell me I have to.
  2. I did't lose just SOME of my Disk settings, I lost ALL of them - 100%!

Do you still think that cause would apply to me?

Gary

Apparently, yes:  Either a crash or planned shutdown could result in corrupted Diskid files because they were being constantly written.

Thanks, @Wiidesire! Your discovery looks like it might solve the root problem for a number of threads, including the ones I've enumerated below, where I've added a duplicate of this post to help close the loop.  According to Christopher, Beta version 2.5.4.3246 addresses and fixed this CDIDW (constant Diskid write) issue by increasing the interval from once every second, allowing shutdowns and upgrades with low risk of corrupting the Diskid files and losing scanning history.

A useful new Scanner feature, now that the program has effective settings backup and restore, would be automatic backups, for example, weekly. That way, a backup that would more accurately reflect the scanned state of drives might exist when needed. (Manual backups are less likely to have been made within the last scheduled scan window; thus, even though disk names and other settings can be restored, scan history may be older causing new scans of all disks.)

https://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/3831-scanner-lost-all-data/

https://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/4099-stablebit-scanner-loses-all-settings-on-unexpected-shutdowns/

https://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/4265-scanner-2543216-upgrade-loses-my-setups/

https://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/3707-bug-prior-scan-data-and-settings-not-preserved-on-update/

Mick Mickie:  Thanks for jumping in Mick! Christopher just said "Crashes", so I thought the "Fix" might not help me. I don't usually upgrade to Beta versions of anything, but in this case I think I might make an exception. I was just upgrading to sort of get away from the built-in wssx versions in preparation for my upcoming move to Server 2016 Essentials.

Again, thanks!

Gary