Jump to content

Leaderboard

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation since 09/23/21 in all areas

  1. Recently I had an issue that caused me to move my array over to another disk. I think the issue caused a problem, as 5 disks show up with damage warnings. In each case the damaged block is shown to be the very last one on the disk. I assume this isn't some weird visual artifact where blocks are re-ordered to be grouped? Anyway, clicking on the message about the bad disk of course gives a menu option to do a file scan. I decide to go ahead and do this, and of the 5 disks, I think only one actually apears to do anything- you can start see it trying to read all the files on the disk. The others, the option just seems to return, pretty much instantly, which makes no sense to me. They don't error or fail, or otherwise indicate a problem, they all just act like maybe there are no files on those disks to scan (there are). The disks vary in size, 2x4TB and the others are 10TB. One of the 4TB disks scanned fine, and indicated no problems, but it's not clear as to why it would work and the others wouldn't. Ideas? Thanks!
    1 point
  2. I've been pretty confused about how Scanner actually works. Here are some of my observations. Scanner will scan a random drive without regard to when others were last scanned Scanner doesn't pay attention to the setting that says to scan every 30 days (ie don't scan for another 30 days) Scanner will stop mid scan and move to another drive Scanner will scan a drive, but not update the Last Scanned, and will scan it again later Scanner will scan a drive even if the settings to NOT Surface or File System scan are checked Some things I learned: Scanner will scan one drive per "interface". So if I have 2 HBAs, it would scan one drive per HBA. This accounts for some of the seemingly random drive selections There are two scans (Surface and File System), and they are not done at the same time. Scanner does not tell you which scan it is doing, and I haven't found a way to know which scan was started/completed per drive. I have a drive that has been formatting for 14 hours, and another that I just fixed the file system on. I want to rescan the second one so it can hopefully confirm it's fixed and wipe out the File System Damaged error. I went through all the drives and checked the boxes to NOT surface or file system scan them. When I hit Start Check it wants to scan the drive that's in the middle of formatting, and another drive. So the ONLY drive that it should be scanning it doesn't scan. First off, that just makes no sense to me. Why is is scanning drives with those options checked? Why it is scanning a drive that's in the middle of formatting? How can I manually start a scan on this one drive by itself?
    1 point
  3. I figured out shortly after this what best method probably is... I'm just going to copy the files to a temp folder on the drive, then I can move them into the PoolPart folder after that like the guide above. Turning off the service for a few minutes while I move the files sounds a lot easier than the other way.
    1 point
  4. You posted on another thread too. But You may need to enable the "Unsafe" "Direct IO" option to get the SMART data off of these drives, due to the controller. https://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Advanced_Settings#Advanced_Settings if that doesn't work, enable the "NoWmi" option for "Smart", as well.
    1 point
  5. I mean, alex is alive and well. but yeah, some issues that don't directly involve Covecube. If alex wants to answer what exacty so going on, he will. But stuff is still happening.
    1 point
  6. Ok solution is that you need to manually create the virtual drive in powershell after making the pool: 1) Create a storage pool in the GUI but hit cancel when it asks to create a storage space 2) Rename the pool to something to identify this raid set. 3) Run the following command in PowerShell (run with admin power) editing as needed: New-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName VirtualDriveName -StoragePoolFriendlyName NameOfPoolToUse -NumberOfColumns 2 -ResiliencySettingName simple -UseMaximumSize
    1 point
  7. jtc

    Unremovable nested folders

    Solved (Knock on wood,) Thanks to everyone for the prompt suggestions. For future reference, the list below contains commonly advised methods to delete stuck files when a space has been appended to the file names. Use quotes that enclose the trailing space: rd "my folder " Same as above, but add a trailing [back]slash: rd "my folder \" Try using <shift>+delete to bypass the recycle bin, as suggested by otispresley Specify the UNC path: rd "\\.\C:\temp\my folder " Try 8.3 names (if enabled): rd myfold~1 Finally, boot a Linux Live CD: rmdir "/media/blahblah/temp/my folder " What worked for me: I first uninstalled Dropbox, just in case there was some interaction as Christopher suggested. (I have a vague recollection that the troublesome folders were,in fact, related to a Dropbox incident.) Next, I launched an administrative command prompt and traversed the PoolPart folder on each of the two drives, one drive containing the original and the other the duplicated copy of the intransigent folders. Finally, after trying the UNC path solution and the Shift-Delete method with no success, I tried the second of the ideas listed above, adding a trailing backslash to the "shellext " folder name that was causing all the trouble. ( RD "shellext \" ) It worked. Once done, the remainder of the folder structure was removed with RD /S FIXME, "fixme" being the first-level folder. The errant folders have also disappeared from the DrivePool virtual disk, which did not happen when I had tried a Linux Live CD on my previous attempt. Anyway, thanks again.
    1 point
×
×
  • Create New...