• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Questions regarding hard drive spindown/standby

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 eduncan911

eduncan911

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:47 PM

Hello!  And thank you for this and DrivePool.  I've seen using them (with keys!) for a little over two years flawlessly.  Though, no HDDs have failed (some are 7+ years old), I expect Scanner to kick in on that day and alert the hell out of me!

Question on SMART...  And what is disabled when SMART is not available.

I lost my SMART abilities on my HBA passthrough today.  How will this affect Scanner and DrivePool?

TL;TR

Everything was great, scanning, SMART enabled for all 12 of my HDDs.  They are connected two 2x IBM M1015 that I have cross-flashed to the LSI9211 firmware in "IT" mode.  

Today, I decided to get to the bottom of my drives never "spindown".  Turns out there is a way to enable it in the INI files for the drivers.  So, I did that and forced the install of a different set of HBA drivers for my LSI cards.

Upon rebooting, Scanner tells me that:

"The on-disk S.M.A.R.T. check is not accessible.  Drive temp and mechanical operating parameters are not available and will not be monitored."

Could you elaborate on this?  The last part "and will not be monitored" is a bit concerning, meaning the drive won't be monitored at all?  Will drive failures still be detected?

Thanks!

EDIT: Ok, I now realize that loosing SMART ability I can no longer access the "Disk Control" and other menu options on these drives.  

Humm, wondering how they will go to sleep now.  Wonder if Windows will do it.

Windows Server 2012 (about to format to Windows Server 2012 R2).

#22 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

Customer and Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 8,196 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, USA

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:44 PM

For the SMART data, you may need to enable the "Unsafe" DirectIO option to get SMART data. To do so:

http://wiki.covecube...vanced_Settings

Find the "Direct IO" section, check the "Unsafe" option, and reboot the system (or run "services.msc" and restart the "StableBit Scanner Service".

Once you've done that, it should get the SMART data from the drives.

It may also get the drive control options back.

As for spin down... this is a complicated topic, at best. :( 

But yes, in theory, Windows should spin down the drives automatically.

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

Microsoft MVP for Windows Home Server 2009-2012

Lead Moderator for We Got Served

Moderator for Home Server Show

This is my server

Lots of "Other" data on your pool? Read about what it is here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users