How to limit disk space of the pool on one specific drive

pguizze

Question

HI all,

I searched through the forum but didn't find any solution.

I have 7 disks in my DrivePool pool and I'm using one drive of that pool to store other stuff than what I have in the pool (and that I didn't want in the pool).

My issue is that DrivePool is using all the disk space of that drive and does not let me enough space for my out-of-the-pool folder.

How to "limit" or "reduce" the total amount on that drive for DrivePool ? 

I'm not an expert of DrivePool honestly. Through a File placement rule ? But how ? In my pool I have all possible file types...

Thx for your help !

8 answers to this question

A file placement rule would unfortunately not work here - it would take all files you told it to watch for (a filemask of *) and fill up the drive you were trying to limit (to a %) before all other drives.

The Ordered File Placement plugin will similarly fill up drives in the order you specify.  They are sequentially queued for filling, which you don't want.

You can currently only limit drives in the pool using the Drive Usage Limiter plugin to a global percentage full, equally.  Perhaps someday that plugin will allow separate sliders per drive.  I'd personally like to see that as an option.  i.e. a 90% global limit across all pool drives, where a single 4TB drive is limited to 50% space used equates to 1.8TB usable space for DrivePool.  Or..  the most limiting setting is the effective one.

The easy way I see this being solved for you is separating the physical drive into multiple partitions, sizing them according to how much space you want to give DrivePool on the first, and yourself on the second.  You will need to shrink the existing partition on the drive to get enough space for the second.

I think that this has been asked for before. 

But just in case:
https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27889

And extending the "Disk Usage Limiter" balancer would be an easy option, I think. 

Also, are you experienced with C# programming?  If not, no worries.  If so, let me know, as there is source for building balancer plugins. 

On 7/15/2018 at 1:06 PM, Jaga said:

The easy way I see this being solved for you is separating the physical drive into multiple partitions, sizing them according to how much space you want to give DrivePool on the first, and yourself on the second.  You will need to shrink the existing partition on the drive to get enough space for the second.

@praveen johri I think the solution offered by @Jaga is perhaps the easiest and best method. I don't think DrivePool has the ability to limit drive usage on a per drive basis. The only DrivePool limit settings I am aware of are limits set for the entire pool. If you split a physical drive into 2 partitions, then you would have total control over how much disk space you want to set aside for your non-DrivePool use.

20 hours ago, gtaus said:

@praveen johri I think the solution offered by @Jaga is perhaps the easiest and best method. I don't think DrivePool has the ability to limit drive usage on a per drive basis. The only DrivePool limit settings I am aware of are limits set for the entire pool. If you split a physical drive into 2 partitions, then you would have total control over how much disk space you want to set aside for your non-DrivePool use.

Thanks gtaus. I have a drive which is 90% full and other drives in the pool are not that full. In order to implement this solution I first would have to free up space on drive by moving the pool data to other drives in pool, how do i do that? and once this is done I need to partition the drive and allocate the partition I want into the pool. what I am not clear is steps I need to take in relation to drive pool to achieve the above.

You could use the Ordered File Placement balancer (or the corresponding sections of the All In One balancer) to tell DrivePool that it should use that drive last for both new and existing files, so that it would re-balance your files into the other drives?

On 2/19/2021 at 6:34 AM, praveen johri said:

Thanks gtaus. I have a drive which is 90% full and other drives in the pool are not that full. In order to implement this solution I first would have to free up space on drive by moving the pool data to other drives in pool, how do i do that? and once this is done I need to partition the drive and allocate the partition I want into the pool. what I am not clear is steps I need to take in relation to drive pool to achieve the above.

I am assuming that you are talking about partitioning a drive with both a hidden PoolPart DrivePool directory and "other" existing data for your non-DrivePool use.

I was thinking that you could use the DrivePool GUI to "Remove" that drive from the pool. DrivePool will empty the PoolPart of that drive into the other drives in DrivePool. That should take care of the "pool" part of that drive.

Then, depending on how much other non-pool data is left on that drive, you could either transfer that data to DrivePool (or any backup) before you partition the drive, or, if you feel lucky, you could use a partitioning program that lets you partition a drive with existing data. Normally I would partition a new drive, or a drive freshly formatted, or one I have emptied rather than hoping the partition program will not lose any existing data on the drive. All the programs I have used in the past recommended to backup your data before you attempt partitioning a drive with existing data that you want to save. But it has been a couple years since I attempted to partition a drive with existing data on it and maybe the software is more reliable now. 

When you have your drive partitioned into the sections you want, you should have drive letters assigned to each partition. You would simply add the partition to DrivePool that you want just like any other drive. For example, you could partition a 3 TB drive into 2 partitions: 1 TB for non-DrivePool data, and 2 TB for DrivePool. You add the 2 TB partition to DrivePool and it will never touch the 1 TB partition on that drive you set aside for non-DrivePool data. That way you can still use the drive for both DrivePool and designate exactly how much space (partition) you want for your "out-of-the-pool folder."