Covecube Inc.
zhup

Automatic self-healing - how it works?

Question

Hello,

How does "automatic self-healing" work?

Are only cloud files or also the files on hdds repaired? Does de-duplication have to be turned on?

Thank you in advance.

8 answers to this question

On 11/22/2019 at 7:26 AM, zhup said:

Hello,

How does "automatic self-healing" work?

Are only cloud files or also the files on hdds repaired? Does de-duplication have to be turned on?

Thank you in advance.

Self-healing refers to the structure of the drive on your storage, not your local files or even the files stored on the drive. It simply means that it will use the duplicated data to repair corrupt chunks when it finds them. 

22 hours ago, Bowsa said:

It doesn't work. I've still suffered data loss multiple times with this enabled...

Have you submitted a ticket to support? I haven't heard of data loss issues even among those who aren't using data duplication in about 6 months. The self-healing works, in any case. I've seen it show up in the logs once or twice. 

On 12/15/2019 at 11:47 AM, srcrist said:

Self-healing refers to the structure of the drive on your storage, not your local files or even the files stored on the drive. It simply means that it will use the duplicated data to repair corrupt chunks when it finds them. 

Have you submitted a ticket to support? I haven't heard of data loss issues even among those who aren't using data duplication in about 6 months. The self-healing works, in any case. I've seen it show up in the logs once or twice. 

Haven't submitted a ticket, I'm  used to suffering data loss at least 2-5 time a year with StableBit cloud. Nothing I can do about it

7 hours ago, Bowsa said:

Haven't submitted a ticket, I'm  used to suffering data loss at least 2-5 time a year with StableBit cloud. Nothing I can do about it

I mean...you could stop using it, if it loses your data...or at least contact support to see if you can get your issue fixed...

On 12/17/2019 at 2:42 AM, srcrist said:

I mean...you could stop using it, if it loses your data...or at least contact support to see if you can get your issue fixed...

Contacted them... is anyone else getting this error? Has occurred more than 20 times now, where the chunk is unavailable both in my local and duplicate drive.

All that data lost...

On 12/24/2019 at 1:45 AM, Bowsa said:

Contacted them... is anyone else getting this error? Has occurred more than 20 times now, where the chunk is unavailable both in my local and duplicate drive.

All that data lost...

Sounds to me like you may just have a failing drive in your system or a really shitty network connection causing corruption. A drive definitely should not normally introduce corruption without something affecting the data.

I need an explanation from the Stablebit team.
What exactly is
automatic self-healing and de-duplication? How does it work?

Which data is repaired and with using what data?

Thank you in advance.

If you mean the self healing and duplication for StableBit CloudDrive,  it is just that, duplication of the data chunks.   It can/will upload the data twice, basically.  So that if one block gets corrupted/damaged/deleted, it can attempt to access the other block, and use that.