BSOD on DP after updating to Win 10 Apr 18 AND...

NickM

Question

Maybe not a DP issue, but yesterday I updated 2 machines to Windows 10 April 2018.

Both appeared to run normally, but I get an immediate BSOD on the DP machine with "BAD_POOL_HEADER".

The Internet says it's either bad RAM (I'm current running MEMCHECK on the DP machine) or a bad driver.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

I haven't yet reinstalled DP and scanner, or reverted to pre-update Windows.

Edit 1: I do run MalwareBytes on the crashing machine, shall remove it and see what happens.

For the people experiencing this issue:

1. Install the latest build:
    http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/rc/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.1.925_x64_RC.exe
    You can find the newer builds here: http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/rc/download/?C=N;O=D
  2. Please open a ticket at https://stablebit.com/Contact

We don't check the forums as often as we do the contact system.  So help here may be delayed.  Also, .... the other issue is that troubleshooting here leasds to a lot of "me too" type posts that actually MAY NOT BE RELATED.  (it's happened in the past, a number of times).  But we try to mention that yes others are having the same issue when it happens. 

That said, if you haven't already, enable verifier, grab the new crash dump and UPLOAD IT. 
If you don't do this, then we CANNOT help.  Not "won't" but "cannot".   We have not been able to reproduce the issue ourselves, even using some of the examples here.  And yes, on the correct version.   So ... without the verifier enable crash dumps, we cannot see what is going on, and CANNOT fix the issue.

On 5/4/2018 at 1:18 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

For those that are having this issue: 

Enable verifier for covefs.sys and covefs_disk.sys.  
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/driver-verifier#how-to-start-driver-verifier
Then get the crash dump: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_System_Crashes

Upload that, and then let us know.  

Additionally, from the dumps that have already been submitted, we're not seeing anything DrivePool related.  The crashes appear to be SRV2 related. Meaning it's a network share issue, in this case.   And this is why we need the verifier enabled, so we can see more specifically why this is happening. And where it is happening at. 

Edited by Christopher (Drashna)
Add links

I haven't bluescreened using DP yet, but I have mine running on a Win7 server doing simple file sharing on a good sized pool.  Bad Pool Header is usually either a RAM issue, or it can be caused by Anti-Virus apps (in my experience).  Run a memory test using the Windows 10 tool, and try disabling your MalwareBytes.

A rule of thumb I have when enabling AV on a file/media server, is to add an exception for the data storage volume(s) so they are never scanned.  Any files I add to the volumes in the pool were already checked when they were downloaded/saved to the local drive first.  I never download directly to the pool, so that AV can be disabled for it.

Christopher might have more input if you can tell him what version of MalwareBytes you are running.  They used to have issues with a couple if I remember what I read right, one of which was BitDefender which they worked around.

The MalwareBytes version is the latest whatever the free version is.

Haven't' found any RAM errors yet-test is still running-but it'll be good to rule them out

...and it's not Malware bytes (3.4.5.2467). Any network access to the pool (it's  mapped drive) causes the BSOD. Reading is ok about 50% of the time :/

Time to reinstall DP

Edit:

removed DP & Scanner, Sandboxie (there's a system-level driver there that also might be involved) and Private Internet Access VPN software.

Ran chkdsk & sfc  /scannow without errors

created a test folder on one of the DP drives & shared it.

Copied a file over the network, no errors or BSOD. Now to reinstall DP :)

Nope. The moment I copy a file to a shared network drive that points to DP, I get the BSOD again, BAD_POOL_HEADER. :*(

HEEEEEELP!

Edit: I have boot and application logs. Before I upload the boot log, what is captured? I  can't read ETL files.

PIA isn't an issue, I use that as well.

Sounds like you might need help with Drivepool beyond what I can supply.  It's clearly something with the build you have installed that's creating the bluescreens, since a normal network share worked for you fine.  The only thing I can think of off-hand is perhaps the NiC drivers, and if they are doing something funky when accessing network shares.  I think (as an example) the Killer Network NiCs do some funky low-level stuff that might cause issues.

While you wait for DP support to reply (usually Christopher), perhaps look into what NiC(s) you have and what drivers they use?

I'm getting sort of the same problem at home, but it's only on a certain .exe file (borderlands willow save editor.. so what if I like to cheat!). If I run it I get a BSOD every time. It's on a PoolShare and I haven't verified if it works on a normal share or if other .exe files will cause a BSOD. I'll report on that tonight. Writing and reading other stuff has been fine so far. We use it at work and was just forced a restart minutes ago for the update. I'll also chime in if there's any problems here.

I run avira on the PoolShare computer but have it ignore the shared drives (lotsa old cheat trainers that get flagged). Maybe Windows Defender is screwing things up. I just got the update yesterday and up until the update to April Win 10 I haven't had a single BSOD for the three months it's been up 24/7.

Edit: Just ran WillowTree from a shared pool at work after the April Win10 update and it worked fine. Only running windows defender on that server. So maybe it's avira (or avast can't really remember which antivirus it is at home).

Sounds like the editor might be triggering an A/V alert MadSquabbles - many of them do that with trainers, editors, serial key generators, etc like you mentioned.  They trigger the Generic.Trojan flag which then kicks off the AV's quarantine routine, which could easily be interfering with DP's routine (as a filter) and causing the BSOD.

In your case, it could also have been contention between Avira and Windows Defender, if they are both running at the same time.  W10 is normally smart enough to deactivate Defender when another AV is installed, but if not deactivate Defender yourself.

I think NickM is still having issues too.

18 hours ago, NickM said:

Maybe not a DP issue, but yesterday I updated 2 machines to Windows 10 April 2018.

Both appeared to run normally, but I get an immediate BSOD on the DP machine with "BAD_POOL_HEADER".

The Internet says it's either bad RAM (I'm current running MEMCHECK on the DP machine) or a bad driver.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

I haven't yet reinstalled DP and scanner, or reverted to pre-update Windows.

Edit 1: I do run MalwareBytes on the crashing machine, shall remove it and see what happens.

I believe that you posted a ticket for this, as well.

And I believe that you're using an Insider build?

The DP machine uses DP latest retail build (2.2.0.906)

The network adapter is a Broadcom NetXtreme gigabit adapter.

Current tests:

Windows Defender/AV running:

I can copy files to a shared folder on a drive where the drive has a poolpart on it, but the folder itself is NOT part of a pool (so no DP involvement)

When I copy files to a shared folder that is part of the pool, I get the BSOD. By "shared" I mean I've used Windows sharing to share the drive letter assigned to the pool.

Windows Defender/AV running disabled (GUI only, no registry tweaks, realtime/cloud off, no controlled folder access):

Same result: OK if copying to a non-DP folder, BSOD if copying to a DP folder.

I'm not sure WIndows Defender has anything to do with it now :(

Edit: just uploaded service logs & memory dump, all compressed with 7zip.

Yes, having the same problem after updating to windows 1803.

Whenever I try to access the pooled drive from a share, or browse to it from for example rufus to select an iso: bad_pool_header.

Drive is working for the rest, can browse it etc..

Removed drivepool for the moment and using software raid for the moment, no more problems.

Going back to previous windows build also fixes this (restored from backup).

Seems there is an issue with DP and windows build 1803 (tried latest beta,RC and stable).

Going back to drivepool if this is fixed.

Unfortunately, I lost them when I restored my full acronis backup.

But the error is exactly what you described.

What lead me to suspect DP at that moment, was that I opened bsodviewer and opened the dump and saw that ntfs.sys was the first error in the dump.

I only uninstalled DP and used the drives as single drives for a moment without problems, but since my pooled drive is mission-critical, I had no time opening a ticket.

Just tried a few more things:

1. On the DP machine, copying a file from a non-pooled folder to a pooled folder is ok, regardless of whether Windows Defender is enabled.

2. Copying a file from a pooled folder on the DP machine to a shared drive (another computer) was also ok, both with and without Windows defender enabled.

3. Copying a file from a Windows 10 machine that has NOT been updated to 1803 does NOT cause a BSOD, at least in my setup :/

4. On the updated Windows 10 computer I'm copying FROM, I've updated the network drivers (it's a RealTek GBE gigabit, unsure of model). Still BSODs when copying to a pooled folder.

5. On the updated Windows 10 computer I'm copying FROM, I also have Private Internet Access v79 installed, and had it set to "small packets". Disabled this setting (thinking it was maybe a packet corruption issue???) but...BSOD on copying to the pool.

19 hours ago, Jaga said:

Sounds like the editor might be triggering an A/V alert MadSquabbles

That's my guess. I might just uninstall AV and use Defender only since a server only and not being used as a workstation. I'll uninstall AV tonight and see what happens.

I also uninstalled my AV (kaspersky) yesterday, no difference.

Could simulate the bsod with opening rufus (a bootable usb creator) and then selecting an iso on the DP drive.

Upon selecting the iso everytime a bsod. Clicking on the DP pool share from an updated windows machine, always bsod upon selecting it.

Sounds like a Windows 10 build issue for DP at this point, based on everything posted.

6 hours ago, NickM said:

3. Copying a file from a Windows 10 machine that has NOT been updated to 1803 does NOT cause a BSOD, at least in my setup :/

Nick - was this a test using DP installed on a machine running 1803 and sharing the pool folder, while doing copy/write tests from another W10 machine that was not running 1803?  Or did you install DP onto a non-1803 W10 machine to test?

The first thing you mentioned: DP machine as already installed, and I updated the machine to 1803. I later uninstalled and reinstalled DP on this same machine after the update to 1803, the BSODs kept occurring.

I have two other WIn 10 machines, one updated to 1803, the other not. The crash occurs when copying TO the DP machine from the Win 10 1803 machine, but not from the Win 10 ...1709 update??? machine.

I can copy from MacOS to a shared pool folder without error.

I can copy from a Windows Home Server 2011 machine to the shared pool folder without error.

49 minutes ago, NickM said:

The first thing you mentioned: DP machine as already installed, and I updated the machine to 1803. I later uninstalled and reinstalled DP on this same machine after the update to 1803, the BSODs kept occurring.

I have two other WIn 10 machines, one updated to 1803, the other not. The crash occurs when copying TO the DP machine from the Win 10 1803 machine, but not from the Win 10 ...1709 update??? machine.

I can copy from MacOS to a shared pool folder without error.

I can copy from a Windows Home Server 2011 machine to the shared pool folder without error.

That's excellent info, thanks for clarifying.  I'm sure Christopher and Alex can use it to good effect.  W10 1803 as a client is doing something DP doesn't like on a W10 1803 DP server.

I tried with a Windows 10 1511 (yes, very old!) VM. I can copy to the pool (mapped through VMware workstation as a shared drive to the drive letter created by DP on the DP machine).

I then updated to VM to 1803. I can copy without error to the pool. However, the VM is hosted on my Win10 machine that is NOT updated, so I'm not sure if these tests mean anything.

Edit: Uploaded another BSOD with the troubleshooting tool. ID 3594

Actually I can still copy/write between 1803 machines to the pool, so luckily it is still perfectly usable as long as I remember to only delete files when at the pc with the pool or from a 1709 machine.

Hmm never mind. Turns out copies do BSOD for me they are just not 100% BSOD like deletes. Time to roll back Windows 10.

Edited by Bren
Correction

For those that are having this issue: 

Enable verifier for covefs.sys and covefs_disk.sys.  
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/driver-verifier#how-to-start-driver-verifier
Then get the crash dump: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_System_Crashes

Upload that, and then let us know.  

15 hours ago, Bren said:

I'm having the same 1803 BSOD issue except only on trying to delete files from the drivepool network share. Can delete fine directly or from non drivepool shares.

Make sure you're on this version:
http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/rc/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.1.922_x64_RC.exe