Feature request: unduplicated file names,

lyzanxia

Question

HI,

I have a pool which I want to be fully duplicated.

Still there seems to be a few files which are classified as unduplicated or other (seen in the interface).

Would be cool if you could get a list of filenames which are falling in this category (in a seperate log file or something).

So you know what files are still in danger when a disk fails and are not duplicated.

Just an idea.

NIco

6 answers to this question

Unduplicated vs Duplicated vs Other vs Unusable really needs its own sticky (post-it note goes on the monitor to do that later today).

Long story short, if you have turned on duplication for the entire pool, have never turned off duplication for any folder in the pool, and you've got enough space on the pooled drives for all your files to be duplicated, the "unduplicated" size should be zero (and if so, you won't even see the "unduplicated" field).

"Other" is all the stuff on a disk that isn't part of the pool. To quote from the Covecube blog:

And then there’s “Other”. “Other” always confuses people, but it literally is everything else.

So what else is there?

• Non-pooled files that exist on that disk. Remember that just because a disk is part of the pool doesn’t mean that you can’t continue to use that disk to store non-pooled files.
  • NTFS Metadata. For every file on a NTFS volume, there is additional metadata associated with that data stream, like the file name, file attributes, modification times, etc… These typically take very little disk space, but can add up if you have lots of files.
  • Directory entries. On NTFS, directory entries are actually stored as regular files with a “directory” attribute. But instead of a data stream, they contain a little database of index entries for each file (and subdirectory) that exists under them.
  • Slack space. Just because you have a 100GB volume, doesn’t mean that you can use all 100 Gigabytes of that volume to store data. NTFS divides your volume into equally sized chunks called clusters, which are typically 4096 bytes in size. If your file doesn’t fit neatly into these clusters then there’s going to be some space at the end of the file that’s wasted. We call this “slack space”.

+1 for the request.

As a general matter, I would really like to have more information about the internal.

Kind of an explorer view with all the DP properties of the folders / files (duplicated or not, on which HDD) + possibility to filter the view.

Thanks for the info Shane, but I had allready read that.

I think it would be cool, if you could visually see those files responsible for the other or unduplicated files.

I have 4 2TB disks in a pool, and have about +-500mb other data on every disk, according to the gui.

I have nothing on the disks beside the pooldata folder (checked it going on to the drive and did a treesize).

No trashcan or restore option on, on these disks (as far as I can tell).

And I have 11,2 gb unduplicated data, for which I can't know to which files these account to...

So, I hope you see my point in the request (and as I said, a log file would be enough..no need to incorporate it in the gui or something)

Regards

I've now posted and pinned a brief FAQ in this forum on the Unduplicated vs Duplicated vs Other vs Unusable terms.

lyzanxia, per that FAQ, could you check whether you have folder duplication turned off for one or more of your folders (e.g. in version 2.x, via Pool Options -> File Protection -> Folder Duplication). If you click on the root entry and tap the asterisk key it will completely expand the tree.

If this isn't the problem, then it's possible that you have files in the pool with incompatible permissions.

Log files can be found in the "C:\ProgramData\StableBit DrivePool\Service\Logs\Service\" folder.

Here's an example where DP finds only 1 copy of a file where it's expecting 2 copies:

DrivePool.Service.exe	Warning	0	[CoveFsPool] Incomplete file found: '\MSIa9e16.tmp' (ExpectedNumberOfCopies=2, Found=1)	2013-06-10 02:42:24Z	2037049447

Shane, I have checked using asterisk..and I had 2 folders not duplicated (system restore folder and trashcan folder), but they were both empty.

Looking in the log, I don't see those particular errors.

I must say I disabled duplicating in the past for 1 other folder (+-48gb), and afterwards put duplication back on that folder.

But for the rest, I really can't say where those 10.5gb unduplicated and 655mb other come from..

Is there a way I can tell drivepool to just start over and check and duplicate everything I have now selected (the entire pool)?

Tried remeasure to no avail. And balancing is on immediately.

If there are incompatible permissions on some files, how do I know which files? (hence my feature request :) )

Thanks for the tips.

@lyzanxia, If you check "C:\ProgramData\StableBit DrivePool\Service\Logs", that will generally list any problem files.  May be a good point to start.

As for the duplication stuff, the reason Shane mentioned "remeasuring" is because that's what scans the files to check for duplication...

Worst case here, is you the "WSS Troubleshooter" tool can reset the permissions on the entire pool (can take a while). That would fix most permission issues.

Also, you could run "chkdsk /f x:" (where x: is the drive letter or folder path of the drive) on each drive the pool, to check and fix any file system issues that may have occurred to "unplanned shutdowns".