OK to do multiple drive add/removes at the same time?

bnhf

Question

I've been busy re-jiggering my drives after migrating a server from Windows Home Server 2011 (with DrivePool) to Windows 10. Several drives have SMART warnings, so I'm in the process of removing them from the pool and adding replacements.  It's going fine, but I've been doing them one at a time, which is a tad slow.  My question is, for those that have actually done it before -- is it OK to add and remove multiple drives at the same time from DrivePool?

3 answers to this question

If your removing a drive from pool A, and a drive from pool B then yes.

Same pool, then probably no... chances are if you remove 2 drives from same pool, a certain law dictates you'll pull 2 with the same data on, and lose the data :o

Slow is good if the data remains intact. Me, i always yank one drive, and see where i stand before pulling another.

6 hours ago, bnhf said:

I've been busy re-jiggering my drives after migrating a server from Windows Home Server 2011 (with DrivePool) to Windows 10. Several drives have SMART warnings, so I'm in the process of removing them from the pool and adding replacements.  It's going fine, but I've been doing them one at a time, which is a tad slow.  My question is, for those that have actually done it before -- is it OK to add and remove multiple drives at the same time from DrivePool?

I assume you mean whether it is OK to remove multiple drives at the same time from the Pool through the GUI, not actually pulling them physically from the PC (which you might do after the removal from the Pool is done of course). In that case, yes, it is fine. However, I *think* it is sequential, it would not actually empty them simultaneously and in fact, the first drive you'll empty will actually places files on the other disks, including the one you want to remove (I am pretty sure I read on these forums). It may be better to use the Drive Usage Limiter balancer. If you, for the relevant disks, uncheck both duplicated and unduplicated on all drives you want to empty (and assuming you have suffient space available on the ones you do not want to empty) and the remeasure/rebalance, DP will empty those drives out without placing them on the others being emptied. Once that is done you can remove them through the GUI and that removal will be very fast.

38 minutes ago, Umfriend said:

I assume you mean whether it is OK to remove multiple drives at the same time from the Pool through the GUI, not actually pulling them physically from the PC (which you might do after the removal from the Pool is done of course). In that case, yes, it is fine. However, I *think* it is sequential, it would not actually empty them simultaneously and in fact, the first drive you'll empty will actually places files on the other disks, including the one you want to remove (I am pretty sure I read on these forums). It may be better to use the Drive Usage Limiter balancer. If you, for the relevant disks, uncheck both duplicated and unduplicated on all drives you want to empty (and assuming you have suffient space available on the ones you do not want to empty) and the remeasure/rebalance, DP will empty those drives out without placing them on the others being emptied. Once that is done you can remove them through the GUI and that removal will be very fast.

Yes -- through the GUI.  And, your response is right on point.  Having DrivePool re-balance to another drive I intend to remove from the pool eventually, is clearly not efficient.  So, I'll give the Drive Usage Limiter a go for the next step in this process.  Sounds like this should reduce the overall time required, regardless of whether I make changes one drive at a time, or several at once.