Windows - Drivepool service priority

Bazzu85

Question

Hi,

By default Drivepool.Service.exe has normal priority under windows

going into balancing - File placement it takes forever to load the folders distribution on disks when clicking on it..

Manually increasing the process priority boost the disk read a lot..

Are there any way to assign always a "Above normal" priority?

6 answers to this question

In the UI, there is a ">>" icon that appears when balancing/duplication occurs, that boosts the priority. This is a temporary setting, though.

Additionally, there are a couple of advanced settings that can also help. "FileBalance_BackgroundIO" and "FileDuplication_BackgroundIO".  These can be set via: 
https://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Advanced_Settings#Settings.json

55 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

In the UI, there is a ">>" icon that appears when balancing/duplication occurs, that boosts the priority. This is a temporary setting, though.

Additionally, there are a couple of advanced settings that can also help. "FileBalance_BackgroundIO" and "FileDuplication_BackgroundIO".  These can be set via: 
https://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Advanced_Settings#Settings.json

I know the ">>" icon..

talking about the settings.json..

I cant' find the file..

I have this folder: C:\Program Files\StableBit\DrivePool , no json in it..

looking at the wiki page talk about a sort of Drivepool v2, how can I check wich version I'm using?

founded the json: both object you talking about are true.

what about:

• DrivePool_BackgroundTasksPriority (Default: "-2")- The CPU thread priority that should be used for background tasks such as calculating the balancing ratio. A value from -15 to 15 (inclusive).

Relating to an above normal windows service priority. Can I play with this?

thx

If I had to guess, it might relate to the Windows API that handles thread priority adjustment: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/procthread/scheduling-priorities

So I would assume that -15 to +15 covers the availability priorities below/above a "normal" of 16 for the task (since "0" is exclusive to a special system thread).

In any case I'd be very careful about increasing it, Windows doesn't always handle "overclocking" processes well and you might want to be ready to deal with a non-responsive OS.