[BUG] Missing Drive Error in Pool

RJGNOW

Question

The Pool is indicating a missing drive, when Windows disk managment and Scanner say's it's not.  I know the pool is supposed to update itself when a drive comes back on line, but it doens't apear to be working, and I don't see anyway to manualy get the pool logic to recheck.  I have to restart the server to get it to see the drive again.

I also noticed that there was no error msg sent even though I have it setup to send on any error.

PS: I tried to attach pics of the error, but I recieved 'You have exceeded your allotted disk space for attachments' error

14 answers to this question

When this happens again (if it does), grab a dump of the service:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Service_Memory_Dump

As well as grab any Error Reports from the system:

version 1.X: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Error_Reports

version 2.X: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Error_Reports

As for the image attachment size, what size were the images?

That form doesn't support larger than 10MB files.

The upload form on the above links uses Box.com and stores it there. That's what we recommend.

However, if you want, upload it to DropBox or OneDrive, or similar cloud services, and then use the https://stablebit.com/Contact form to send us the link to the files (and this thread).

Also, for those experiencing this issue, what version of DrivePool are you using?

Having the same issue :( I am getting tired of the cockamie rechecking the drive pool. It started another checking and I wish it would have some information on the interface as to why it restarted, what time, and if it has any outlook on when it will end.

Anyways, the recheck is running and then suddenly stops when I start the stablebit scanner and at the same time issue a WHS 2012e server backup to a non-pooled drive. The drive-pool interface disappears. I turn on the interface and there is no pool displayed while the pool drive is available and accessible. I don't want to restart my server but will have to possibly fix this issue.

I was excited for owning drivepool and now drive scanner but starting to regret it. These problems have started manifesting since I installed drive scanner two days ago.

Tried finding the log in the Temp directory but did not find anything there except for the drive scanner log.

post-1546-0-41651200-1396953845_thumb.jpg

I have to admit that when I installed the Scanner, it caused me a crap load of issues too. I have eliminated the scanner and all is much better without it running. I used a new scanning program and it reports no issues, and it works well. Drivepool works fine otherwise.

Hi,

I was recommended to install the Beta version from the following location.

http://dl.covecube.c.../beta/download/

Downloaded the latest 499 beta; though, when installer started, it instructed to uninstall previous installation. Looking through the manual, it is not clear if I will harm/destroy/lose the current production drivepool on my system by doing the following

uninstall_current_stable_version_drivepool->reboot->install_new_beta_version_drivepool->reboot.

Will my current drivepool by automatically discovered by the new_beta_version after install or will I have to re-add disks. The disks have duplicated data, will the new_beta_version figure things out OR am I taking a risk with my data.

Thanks.

Drivepool is setup for duplication. I was seeing an odd behavior where sometimes less<100GB of data would not get duplicated. So, to fix this and start fresh, I set the drivepool to no duplication. Drivepool took 36 hours to remove duplication (this a 14.5TB drivepool and 70% full with duplication). Then, I restarted the duplication and waited another 3.5 days. After all that trouble, the drivepool still has 10.9GB of data unduplicated. This may not seem much but I am performing my client backups on this drivepool and I don't want to have a situation where the 10.5GB includes portion of the client backup database. I am not sure what to do anymore.

BTW - while the drive was duplicating data, after 2.5 days, it went into this odd error where the dashboard showed a "?" next to the drivepool letter location even though the drivepool was accessible via the Windows Explorer and the system had no other logged errors. I had to restart my system to get the "?" removed and show the drivepool drive letter in the dashboard or the drivepool application again. Note: I waited for the duplication process to think it is complete before the system was rebooted. I did not want the duplication or the dreaded "checking" to restart.

All this maintenance and hand holding is becoming a challenge.

post-1546-0-27362600-1397884633_thumb.png

Have you read this: http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/37-faq-unduplicated-vs-duplicated-vs-other-vs-unusable/

I have never seen a DP setup with 0 "other". "Other" is not unduplicated in the sense that it is data you want duplicated. It is data on the drives that resides outside the Pool (or poolpartfolder). These may be shadow copies, files you put on there (which you obviously have not) and other stuff. The SystemVolumeInformation folder is a well know cause of "Other" becoming quite large sometimes and the another day it may have all but dissappeared.