What kind of disk speeds should I be seeing during balancing?

bitfidelity

Question

I recently added a new 5400 RPM drive to my pool (all other drives are the same speed). It's been nearly a week and the balancing operation is still running (only 4.58 TB have been written so far). According to Task Manager, the disks aren't reading or writing any much higher than 20 MB/s. Is this normal?

4 answers to this question

In my experience, balancing is way slower than regular HDD performance. But a week for 4.6TB is a bit much. The balancing process is a background process with lower priority but I assume you are not working on that thing 24/7 (and it is not a heavily used server or somesuch). How large is the Pool? Personally, I have had situations where a simple shut down/restart did wonders.

As Umfriend mentioned, balancing runs in a background priority.  That means that if there is other activity on the pool, it may/will cause the balancing to take longer to complete. 

You can temporarily up the priority, by clicking on the ">>" icon at the bottom when balancing is occuring, though. 

Yes, I feel like an idiot for not seeing that button until the balancing was nearly finished. Once I upped the priority, the speed jumped to something ridiculous, like 320 MB/s (which isn't actually possible for disk drives, I think)...

I will point out that there was absolutely no activity on the pool, however.