Covecube Inc.
cdk487

Add a 4 or 5 bay Enclosure connected thru eSATA controller card to my Server.

Question

I have a Lenovo Thinkserver TS140 running windows 10 pro OS on a 500GB SSD and #3 4tb HD in a 12TB pool using StableBit DrivePool. I use it as a Plex media server and as my personel computer. I want to add a 4 or 5 bay Enclosure JBOD's which will have 10tb HD's in it. I will start with two hd's and add others as needed. I need help choosing an enclosure and an Esata card that work well together. I have the following questions too. When using StableBit DrivePool what is best for a Port Multiplier on an eSATA card, command based switching or FIS (Frame Information Structure)-based switching, or does it not make any difference. The card I was looking at had 2 eSATA ports that could be used simultaniously but it only used command based switching on the port multipliers. I was thinking that I want the enclosure to have a power toggle switch so that it does not shutdown when rebooting my server or does it matter. Will StableBit DrivePool connect automatically with the enclosure when I reboot my PC? Also will StableBit Scanner be able to monitor the HDs in the enclosure thru eSATA and will the HD S.M.A.R.T. status work? Is there anything else I need to consider for this to work or do I have to consider another way to add storage. 

3 answers to this question

Honestly, SAS is a better option, even if it's only the controller (there are external SAS to eSATA breakout cables), but this is usually much more expensive. 

That said, an ASMedia or Marvell based controller is your best bet. These should work well, and not have any issues (the ASMedia stuff may need to have custom drivers installed to get PM support).

As for enclosures, Orico aren't bad.  The MediaSonic Pro boxes are okay, but I wouldn't recommend then. Otherwise, Not really sure. 

On 8/30/2018 at 5:23 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

The MediaSonic Pro boxes are okay, but I wouldn't recommend then. Otherwise, Not really sure. 

Having owned a few of these (a 4 and 8 bay), I'd say to get whatever ASMedia card they recommend. I used a 4-bay one with whatever eSata was on my mobo, and the SATA port replication was a little wonky until I picked up the card MediaSonic recommended. They've been rock solid after that.

Get a Norco box for the drives, and a LSI Host Bus Adapter with External SAS connectors.  Then plug the internal SAS connector into the backplane of the Norco box, and the external connector to the external connector of the HBA.