Google drive not supported after may 2024? Why?

warham28

Question

15 answers to this question

@Christopher (Drashna) Can you please elaborate on this - I'm guessing it's not a choice StableBit would prefer to make? I'd also suggest that it seems like the kind of change that should be officially announced in the forums sooner rather than later (also inb4 inevitable confusion of some users over "Google Drive" vs "Google Cloud Storage") and that some kind of warning message should be implemented in the CloudDrive product itself for those who have (or are adding) Google Drive as a provider. Edit: there is a warning message as of the 1.2.6.1706 beta. I need to read the notes more carefully. Thanks to msq for pointing this out and providing screenshots below.

Edited by Shane
Update with info

16 hours ago, Shane said:

I'd also suggest that it seems like the kind of change that should be officially announced in the forums sooner rather than later (also inb4 inevitable confusion of some users over "Google Drive" vs "Google Cloud Storage") and that some kind of warning message should be implemented in the CloudDrive product itself for those who have (or are adding) Google Drive as a provider.

You're 100% right, this is a massive change and for me puts the whole CloudDrive & DrivePool setup in question :(

This is how it looks like in 1.2.6.1710 beta, not really explaining anything:

google_drive_stablebit.png.c3f9ccff2c44109d1a4f62559e99f46b.png

google_drive_stablebit2.png.0536d21d4e39b916916e270befb632eb.png

google_drive_stablebit3.png.711ee5d5b254ca2c10f71f1ce1294c79.png

Alex has said that he plans on postind on the forums an announcement about this, and it may be best to wait for that. 

That said, between the fact that Google Drive has always had a 750GB per account per day upload limit (which is pretty low), some of the odd issues that pop up with it, and that they've recently limited to 1TB (or 5TB) of data and lock the account if it exceeds it (eg, stops uploads),  the writing has been on the wall for a while.  

What will happen after May 15th? The majority of my data is on my Google workspace enterprise account. I do not think it is possible for me to find another storage provider to host my data economically. Will all data have stored through cloud drive being inaccessible for me after that date? Is it possible to use my own API keys to continue using Google Drive as a provider for cloud drive?

5 hours ago, Martixingwei said:

What will happen after May 15th? The majority of my data is on my Google workspace enterprise account. I do not think it is possible for me to find another storage provider to host my data economically. Will all data have stored through cloud drive being inaccessible for me after that date? Is it possible to use my own API keys to continue using Google Drive as a provider for cloud drive?

I'll have to ask to double check, but most likely, this would be us deactivating our app API key.  You'd need to set up your own API key to continue using the software, or download all of the data from Google Drive, and use the converter tool to convert it to the local disk provider format.

2 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

I'll have to ask to double check, but most likely, this would be us deactivating our app API key.  You'd need to set up your own API key to continue using the software, or download all of the data from Google Drive, and use the converter tool to convert it to the local disk provider format.

Using my own API key would be a totally viable solution for me. Hopefully, I can still use cloud drive with google drive for future! Also, maybe integrating with rclone will also be a solution allowing more flexible backend choices for advanced users.

On 2/28/2024 at 4:50 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Alex has said that he plans on postind on the forums an announcement about this, and it may be best to wait for that. 

That said, between the fact that Google Drive has always had a 750GB per account per day upload limit (which is pretty low), some of the odd issues that pop up with it, and that they've recently limited to 1TB (or 5TB) of data and lock the account if it exceeds it (eg, stops uploads),  the writing has been on the wall for a while.  

I haven't had any issues with using Google Drive for the past 2 years with StableBit, so why must access end for me if I keep it within those limits?

Google Drive was an excellent choice when you were able to sign up as gsuite business (even the start of workspace entreprise) to get unlimited storage. But it was inconsistent, it was sometimes corrupting data.

Now that they are enforcing limit and the pricing goes higher, there is no reason to not use something else.

Will you let the option available to people that want to use it with the risk associated or you will remove it from the list of choice ?

5 hours ago, thestillwind said:

Will you let the option available to people that want to use it with the risk associated or you will remove it from the list of choice ?

FAQ answers that, as did I, above.  You can generate your own app API keys and use those, these are configured in "C:\ProgramData\StableBit CloudDrive\ProviderSettings.json" file. 

The Google Drive Provider will be marked as "expirmental"/"deprecated".  This means that new installations, the provider will be hidden by default.  You can enable it by enabling experimental providers.   However, if you already have connected to Google Drive on a system, then it will stay visible. 

19 hours ago, The Tran said:

Where can I find instructions to get my own API Key to use?

Fully outlined here: 
https://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Q7941147

5 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

FAQ answers that, as did I, above.  You can generate your own app API keys and use those, these are configured in "C:\ProgramData\StableBit CloudDrive\ProviderSettings.json" file. 

The Google Drive Provider will be marked as "expirmental"/"deprecated".  This means that new installations, the provider will be hidden by default.  You can enable it by enabling experimental providers.   However, if you already have connected to Google Drive on a system, then it will stay visible. 

Fully outlined here: 
https://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Q7941147

Is it possible to change the already mounted drive's API key? I have a mounted Google Drive with ~1TB remaining to upload, but the default API key seems to be severely throttled, uploading in a very unstable manner, stuck at 0bit/s at more than 50% of the time.