Scanner (and DrivePool) incorrectly identify drives?

hansolo77

Question

Hopefully this will be my last support issue!

I have 2 drives.  They are both using the same controller expansion card.  When I installed them, I named each one in Windows Disk Manager to help me identify them.  One is a Western Digital and the other is a Hitachi.  The Western Digital is labeled as "PSU" (it's not safe at the moment, but it's sitting on top of the PSU) and the Hitachi is labeled as "Expansion Bay 5 - Server Backup".  Before I added the Western Digital one into the DrivePool, I noticed DP was detecting BOTH drives as the WD.  The only way I knew which was which was because I had named them in Disk Manager.  The same was true in Scanner to a degree.  I was going through the drives in my system and assigning them Locations for my SMS alerts.  When I came to these 2 drives, They appeared in the Scanner screen with their correct Model Numbers, but when I check their Disk Details, the Hitachi is being detected as the WD (just like the DrivePool was doing).  As it is right now, I have no way to bring up the actual drive details of the Hitachi.  It always comes up as WD.  (see image)

I just want to know if this is a mere aesthetic issue, or a more serious underlying problem that I will experience in more detail as I go forward.  If I add the WD to the DrivePool, is DP going to mistakenly add the Hitachi as well?  If I assign the Hitachi as not in the pool, will Scanner still be able to scan the drive?

When I was getting all my drives into the pool yesterday, I noticed it was spanning data across all the drives EXCEPT the WD.  It's almost like it wasn't there (even though it WAS in the list).  Could this be a problem with the controller?  Could it be drivers?  Or is it maybe something in the program?

9 answers to this question

Is this controller card a Silicon Images card?

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/237-sil3114-sata-controller-chip/

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/34-sil3132-sata-controller-chip/

However, it shouldn't mis-identify the drive.

So, what controller card are you using?

And no, this shouldn't affect either StableBit Scanner (at least for the scans, but it will throw off the SMART data, most likely) or StableBit DrivePool (we use the volume ID, which is unique and assigned to the volume itself, and not dependant on disk information).

... Wow you're good.  :)

It is a Silicon Image card, but not those 2 you listed.  Mine is a SiL3112.  I'm not sure if there is a firmware upgrade for it or not.  As long as it won't affect anything, I'll just ignore it.  In DrivePool, it does this on the 'hover', where I will hover over the Hitachi (2nd port) and it gives me the model/serial of the WD.  Would this be why DP isn't writing any data to that drive, or maybe DP just isn't displaying it?

I've owned a few Sil chipsets, a long time ago. I'm definitely familiar with them and their issues. :)

Ah, okay, that's probably why.  It's not a chipset we've really seen. 

Could you submit the SMART data to BitFlock, so we can take a look at it "directly"? 
To do so, on any drive that gets SMART data (accurate or not), right click on the drive and select the "SMART Details" option. Scroll to the bottom and check the "Submit to BitFlock" option. This should generate an 8 digit ID, but it make take a minute or two to do so. 

Once it has, post that here, and we'll take a look at it. 

As for the tool tip data, that's pulled from StableBit Scanner, so if that information is wrong, DrivePool will show the wrong information as well.

However, there are plenty of other identifiers that we can (and do) use for StableBit DrivePool, and even StableBit Scanner. So as I said earlier, it shouldn't affect either product adversely. 

Regards