DrivePool as Windows Backup Destination: Status_Wait_1 Error

gogito

Question

So I'm using the "old" Windows Backup System in Windows 10 (Labeled as Windows 7 Backup) where it back up the system as an Image. I chose the DrivePool Pool as the destination but kept getting the Status_Wait_1 error and the backup stop midway after a period of running, usually runs for more than an hour or 2, backing up a few hundred GB before it throws the error.

Does DrivePool just not work with this? I am only using the Pool to HOLD my backup and not backuping the pool data.

2 answers to this question

What is the size our backup system file?  Is it possible to write the backup file to your system HDD first, and then transfer it to DrivePool?

I have never seen the Status_Wait_1 error you mentioned, but I don't use the "old" Windows Backup System in Windows 10 (Labeled as Windows 7 Backup) that you mentioned. I have used some other backup software, and it worked fine on DrivePool. 

Assuming you have at least one pool drive that can accept the complete system backup file, I don't know why the process is timing out on you. But I have never tried to write a file that takes an hour or two to complete.

If I had make a wild guess, it's possible that the Windows 7 Backup is assuming the destination is a physical drive and attempting to use VSS or special NTFS metadata operations which aren't supported by DrivePool.

For whatever it's worth, I'm using Veeam for my own system image backups and haven't encountered that issue.