How to turn off diskpool balancing

TBJ

Question

6 answers to this question

Finily it works :-)

Manage Pool -> Balancing -> Settings-> Selected "Do not balance automatically" and unchecking "Allow balancing plug-ins to force immediate balancing."
Suddenly it worked. Tested it earlier today, but with no luck. Strange.

I'm happy :-)

10 hours ago, TBJ said:

I'm happy :-)

There are many options to the balancing settings. It took me a while to figure out what works best for me. Once I got to my happy place, I have not changed it. Sounds like you dialed it in faster than I did.

Just wanted to mention that when I was changing DrivePool settings, sometimes I would get unexpected results. I found that if I restarted my computer, DrivePool would come up fresh and things worked as expected.

On 5/4/2021 at 12:47 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Honestly, I wouldn'r really recommend disabling balancing.

The default balancers cover edge cases, mostly... so if it's balancing data, there is probably a good reason for it, and disabling it may cause problems, down the line.  

But what about temporarily, say, if I'm replacing a drive and it's going to be missing for a few days? It slows down my system with the continuous measuring and balancing in the meantime. What if I just want Drivepool to sit tight for a bit?

On 5/4/2021 at 2:47 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Honestly, I wouldn'r really recommend disabling balancing.

The default balancers cover edge cases, mostly... so if it's balancing data, there is probably a good reason for it, and disabling it may cause problems, down the line.  

Please explain your reservations. I will listen. But I must tell you I find balancing to be quite annoying and problematic with this Spectre free Atom box I use to manage 50TB of backup storage. If all disks are reasonably filled...why must I bother with automatic balancing?

I would like to know if Drivepool "looks" for open space before writing new data into the pool.