BIOS upgrade locked me out of StableBit

wakirk2002

Question

I have tired to contact Support but I get the following issue: 
Oops...
An error has occurred while processing your request.

Controller: Contact
Action: Validate
Error: Validation failed for one or more entities. See 'EntityValidationErrors' property for more details.
System.Data.Entity.Validation.DbEntityValidationException: Validation failed for one or more entities. See 'EntityValidationErrors' property for more details. at CoveUtil.RetryBlock.Run[TException,TResult](Func`2 Func, Action`1 Control, Boolean ThrowOnOperationCanceled) in ....very long blah..blah..blah....SKIP! __22(IAsyncResult asyncResult)

So, I am left posting this here on the forums in the hopes some one is actually able to contact them.

We have an ASUS ROG ZENITH EXTREME with a 1st Gen AMD Threadripper 9050X with 32GB of RAM, 512 SSD, and 24 Disk StableBit Pool.

Ok, 2 days ago, Windows tried to install the 2004 Windows Update.  Our machine was one of the unlucky ones that the update would not take.

After going round and round, we figured out we would need a clean install of windows.  We couldn't get the install media to start, so we tried a BIOS update.
That did the trick.  Now I am at the point where I need to reinstall StableBit, and it says it can't find my license.

After some searching these forums, apparently the BIOS update is what is preventing our key from working.

I came to the site to try to deactivate the key, but that's not how this works it seems.  As I stated above, I can't contact anyone to get help.

What I am needing is for this key to be deactivated so I can reinstall StableBit.

Can someone please tell me how to get in contact with them without the "Contact Us" link because I keep getting the above error. 

P.S. Ya know, actually, If the key is to be deactivated on the client, then did anyone think what happens if the computer bricks or hard crashes and can't start?
How would anyone fix this with that?  There needs to be a web based way to clear these keys.   Windows does this, and that's low hanging fruit. 

4 answers to this question

On 7/15/2020 at 10:42 PM, wakirk2002 said:

What I am needing is for this key to be deactivated so I can reinstall StableBit.

Can someone please tell me how to get in contact with them without the "Contact Us" link because I keep getting the above error. 

It's odd that the form isn't working for you - I literally just used it the other day. Try another browser to be sure?

But just tag @Christopher (Drashna), or use one of the contact methods in his profile:

image.png.79e4841665bbd0d2213a515912cacb29.png

He will help you sort it out.

There are toooooo many ways to screw these licenses up and then have to throw more money at this, even Microsoft wasn't this bad.

I had to get my project going, and I didn't have time to sit around with broken support and a broken project, I had to purchase a 2nd copy to to get the crap going again.

NOW, here I am, AGAIN......     I was still in the cleanup process from the last time, I had deactivated stablebit so I could un-install and re-install it so I could build things back up, again, almost finished, again AGAIN, I deactivated it like a good little boy, and fine, I go to reinstall it....    did you catch what I didn't do?   NO? really, neither did I.   Unlike a smart product that has related components, I didn't go deactivate cloud drive and scanner AS WELL......   I just got through installing CC Cleaner bundle, and when I activated 1, I got all 4 activated, you know, like smart software does.    (in case your are wondering, I had manually pulled the array apart, reasons related to the earlier bios and update 2004 fiasco and lockout)

so, all drives clean, ready for the array to be rebuild, new disks arranged, new controller card (yea,  a driver package for USB wasn't marked as FIRMWARE update... so, I needed new hardware, which changed the order of how my disks needed to be connected for optimal balancing between the two channels on the new card)

And I come to discover that, being on the same machine, with the same hardware, and no changes, STILL locks me out.  G D I.....

Now, i am stuck with what, buying yet another copy of this?

W A R N I N G :  P S A!

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT IF YOU DON'T LIKE OVERZEALOUS LICENSE ACTIVATION RESTRICTIONS.

BECAUSE IF YOU EVEN KIND OF MESS IT UP OR YOUR MACHINE CRASHES, YOU WILL BE BUYING ANOTHER COPY.

UNDOCUMENTED RULES YOU WILL BE BEHOLDEN TO:  (i.e. learn from my mistakes.)

1.  YOU CAN NOT DEACTIVATE IT FROM THE WEB.

2.  YOU CAN NOT RECOVER IT IF YOUR MACHINE CRASHES AND YOU NEED A FRESH INSTALL

3.  CERTAIN HARDWARE CHANGES WILL BREAK IT AND LOCK YOU OUT.

4.  UNABLE TO ACCESS SUPPORT WITHOUT USING VULNERABLE BROWSERS.

5.  IF YOU FAIL TO DEACTIVATE IT BEFORE AN UNINSTALL YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO REINSTALL

6.  YOU MUST DEACTIVATE ALL 3 PRODUCTS IF YOU HAVE THEM, FAIL DO SO LOCKS YOU OUT.

7.  ALL THREE PRODUCTS DO NOT SHARE ACTIVATION OR DEACTIVATION, YOU MUST DO ALL 3.

BUYER BEWARE, OUR YOU WILL BE A BUYER AGAIN.

.... And the sad thing is, it's really a good product otherwise.  :(

Pardon me while I go spill another $50+ bucks.  I'd rather pay a subscription at this point, it'd be cheaper.

PS.  I appreciate the help, but by the time I saw it, I had already purchased another copy to get things rolling again.  so, I am not ungrateful.

Edited by wakirk2002
update.

Well, in this case, it did work.  Last time, it didn't as it was already activated.

I got a support ticket in, I used Edge (aughhh..) since Brave doesn't like them.  (or the other way around??)

But what on earth is wrong with an account based unlock function like any other modern software?  This is so 90's Microsoft level stuff that created the cracker market to begin with.

How can these folks think of so many nice features and robust functionality and so screw it up when it comes to DRM?  Even Microsoft finally got this right.

Let me state this for what little it's worth...  You can not stop someone from cracking your software.  20 years now companies have been trying, and it ultimately never works.  The only thing can be done is to keep honest people honest.  The best way to do that is make it as easy as it can be without giving away the farm.  The common method that is the most out of the way and still works is account based methods.  Microsoft does this with their Microsoft accounts, Steam lets you have multiple installations but won't let you run on both machines at the same time. etc.  There's hundreds of other examples and most people are used to it by now.  But for backup software, (which is a function of this software, data integrity) it is strange that such an old school 90's 2000's draconian system is in place.   It boggles the mind.

At least the data isn't locked behind this, or it would have been borderline criminal.  It's that technique where the data is not stored on some crappy format that blows up your data the minute the software or hardware goes kaput is why I am continuing to fight with this.  I find the decoupling of data from medium the most intriguing part of this software, and to have this crappy key lock system in place... augh.... WHY!  I've already bought 3 copies, and before I knew this all was an issue, I had gotten a friend to get a copy....  this is before I realized what kind of land mine was built into the thing.   "Crap happens" when it comes to computers, why make the clean up so frustrating when it otherwise would be a snap?

For what it's worth.