Computer sometimes is beeping constantly shortly after boot after i started using SATA Power Splitter Cables on my hdds.

billis777

Question

It does it only some times and a simple restart fixes the problem. My psu is 1600w evga and i'm using 16 hdds.
There was never a beeping problem before i started using the splitting cables.
Are the splitter cables the problem or that my psu cant handle more than 4 hdds per 6 pin port?

6 answers to this question

i just found out part of my problem is "windows fast startup" where your computer doesnt really turns off and when you power on it goes fast into windows without allowing time for my drives to load. i just disabled fast startup and see if this fixes my problem.

On 7/9/2020 at 4:50 AM, billis777 said:

Turns out my problem was windows fast startup. It's all good for now. But if anyone knows how to activate staggered spin up on the highpoint rocket 750 card please let me know, will come handy eventually.

A really hacky/homebrew way to achieve this might be with some sort of Arduino setup that controls power to the HDD power connectors. You'd have to make a custom power cable loom... but the Arduino could be set to stagger 16 relays (or maybe 4 or 8 to bring the disks up in groups) when it's powered up? It's something I've considered myself, as I have a VM box with 12 spinning disks, and the peak power draw when they all spin up at once is... yikes. Had to carefully distribute them over the power rails. I'm using an older 1000W PSU that has 6 +12v rails.

However, the thought of the wiring loom I'd have to make kind kills the idea for me as my old arthritic hands are not up to it anymore :lol: