When will we see a unified 64-bit release for Scanner?

Philmatic

Question

I recently upgraded from Windows Home Server 2011 to Server 2012 R2 Essentials and DrivePool provides a single executable that provides a standalone application, as well as Dashboard integration. Currently Scanner offers either/or, you can install the executable and get the standalone version, or install the wssx file and get Dashboard integration.

Additionally, DrivePool and Scanner have different presentation UIs will this be synced?

As a separate note, can you fix the title of the Scanner window to be just "SCANNER" or something? It looks weird to have a properly cased tab in-between the rest fo the all-caps tabs in 2012 R2 essentials.

4 answers to this question

There isn't really a good reason to compile a 64 bit version of StableBit Scanner. We don't rely on any specific code that requires it to match the architecture of the OS. So it works on 64bit and 32bit systems.

As for the stand alone part, if you use the beta version, you can remotely access Scanner, the same way that you can access DrivePool remotely. Eliminating the need for a stand alone app. 

But the reason we have a seperate installer for the "Windows Server Solutions" products (WHS2011,SBS2011,Server 2012(R2) Essentials), is that the installers are meant to be run on the client side and are pushed to the server, so you don't need to remote into the system. Which is the entire design principle for the system.

As for "syncing" the UI, that's a question that only Alex can answer. But I'll see about getting the title fixed. It does look out of place. (#1158)

Sorry, I should be more clear, I don't care for the 32-bit/64-bit difference, that's hardly the issue.

My issue is that with Drivepool, I install the standalone executable, and I get both a fully integrated dashboard tab AND a standalone application. With Scanner I have to choose, do I want dashboard integration, or do I want the standalone application?

I recently upgraded from Windows Home Server 2011 to Server 2012 R2 Essentials and DrivePool provides a single executable that provides a standalone application, as well as Dashboard integration. Currently Scanner offers either/or, you can install the executable and get the standalone version, or install the wssx file and get Dashboard integration.

Additionally, DrivePool and Scanner have different presentation UIs will this be synced?

As a separate note, can you fix the title of the Scanner window to be just "SCANNER" or something? It looks weird to have a properly cased tab in-between the rest fo the all-caps tabs in 2012 R2 essentials.