aBe_FX35

Question

Hello all,

So i will try to summarize as much as i can. I run my drivepool on WD RED drives, about 5 of them, i had 1 fail on me in the past and now a 2nd seems to have done the same. Im not sure why they are failing so much, i thought they were the best but the desktop pc i have them all cramped in is probably not the best place for and i dont have the vibration absorbing screws or anything special so maybe thats why. Is his failure message a result of drivepool and the drives are actually not damaged ? i will post a screen shot, my drives show lots of space, but 1 drive is completely empty !!! I thought it was not balancing the drives correctly, but im guessing due to the HDD failure message drivepool evacuated all data from that bad disk ? now i have no space to even download a file, not sure what to do. I also have things in my drivepool that i dont have to be duplicated to save space on pool, can i manually disable duplication on certain folders without effecting anything else ? Please advise Thank you all. (Side note this drivepool houses ONLY my PLEX media collection and is used for nothing else)

DRIVEPOOL_ERROR.PNG

DRIVEPOOL_ERROR2.PNG

DRIVEPOOL_ERROR3.PNG

5 answers to this question

That is unlikely to be a DrivePool issue.

Do you monitor the drive temps with Scanner?

All drives have failures, but there are some better than others. I think the current "best" are the Toshiba and HGST drives if I recall correctly. I have 2 WD Reds that I've had for many, many years (5TB) and have not had a failure.

I'm guessing that the SMART warning is for the same disk, and that it's "Uncorrectable Sector Count" and/or "Pending Sector Count".  If so, then yeah, the disk is failing, and there is an issue with the platters (or possibly the heads).   The disk in question should be removed from the pool and system immediately.  And it should be RMA'ed if it's under warranty. 

If you're running into issues/errors with removing the disk from the pool, use the "Force damaged disk removal" option, as it is likely erroring out on reading files on the failing disk. If all the data on the disk in question is duplicated, then I would recommend just physically pulling the disk, and letting DrivePool handle the reduplication, when it's able to. 

However, yeah, when StableBit Scanner marks a disk as failing, StableBit DrivePool will attempt to move all of the pooled data off of that drive, to help prevent data loss.  Which may be/is why most of the other disks are completely full. 

That said, if the drive is under warranty and you have the money, it may be worth doing an "Advanced replacement" RMA.  This is where they send you a new disk first, and then give you time to mail back the bad disk.  This would allow you to swap out the disks and move the data. 

Thank you all for your feedback, yes its very weird that 2 of those drives failed on me, im upset about it. spent lots of money on the WD reds, i think my case i have them in is just not the best place for them, i need to build a standalone drivepool/plex media pc, any recommendations on a very functional and ventilated case for this purpose ? yes i do monitor the temps but not all the time. here is a screen shot of my temps, is this regular/normal temps ? :

i tried to attach a simple snip it clip png screenshot and site is telling me im only allowed 10kb ???!!!?? lol

I had a bunch of 1.5TB greens fail on me. They had the head parking issue which I figured out mid way. Haven't had a red fail yet. My drives are all installed in MediaSonic Probox's that have the fan set full time. Temperature is the enemy of HDD's. If you don't have Scanner you should check it out. It's gives a lot of helpful info on the drives and tests them regularly. I feel with Scanner running and DrivePool that I have a reliable JBOD storage system

On 2/22/2020 at 12:51 PM, aBe_FX35 said:

Thank you all for your feedback, yes its very weird that 2 of those drives failed on me, im upset about it. spent lots of money on the WD reds, i think my case i have them in is just not the best place for them, i need to build a standalone drivepool/plex media pc, any recommendations on a very functional and ventilated case for this purpose ? yes i do monitor the temps but not all the time. here is a screen shot of my temps, is this regular/normal temps ? :

i tried to attach a simple snip it clip png screenshot and site is telling me im only allowed 10kb ???!!!?? lol

I've come to like the Fractal Design cases. I just upgraded from a six-bay Node 304 to a 8 drive bay (+2 more mounted elsewhere in case) Node 804 case. Good ventilation, and anti-vibration pads. Just maybe add a second fan for improved airflow. Even under load all my drives are under 35C. If you want more drive space, then they offer the Define 7 that can accommodate 14 drives, and the Define 7 XL for 18.

The Stablebit DriveScanner can alert you to high temps too.

Use imgur.com if you want to post a screenshot.