Drivepool vs. ServerFolders

Henning

Question

Hi,

I reinstalled Whs2011 and used a set of pooled drives. Drivepool (newest beta version) recognized the previous Pool and started checking. all seemed OK. Now I wasn´t able to move the Server Folders from C: (Samsung Evo) to P:\ (existing pool). I couldn´t see the Pool in the Dashboard/ ServerFolder & Hard Disk tab, but that might be OK because I mounted the pooled disks not with a driveletter.

I got the Troubleshooter Software and it created the Server Folders. Great! I can write and read the folders.

Now comes my problem. In the dashboard/ ServerFolder tab the free space shows as "unknown" and more annoying, I cant add a new folder in the pool with the "add folder" function in the dashboard. The error message is; the task "Add a folder" did not complete successfully. I have a backup disk not in the pool, and on that one I can create and add folders.

I ran the troubleshooter again and reseted all the rights in the pool, but it didn´t help.

I hope there is an easy fix, because the next step would be to create a new Pool...

Thanks for any hints and advice,

Henning.

6 answers to this question

Thanks a million!

My mistake was, I used DrivePool v.2  because I figured v2 > v1

Now I see how well v1 is integrated to whs2011 and I love it :-)

(on a side note: I uninstalled v2, installed v1. next thing happened is Drivepool deleted all the duplicated files and started the duplication process from scratch again? I don´t mind, but was a bit surprised..)

Ah, well, the newest beta's of 2.X also fix this issue. 

I'll post the link to those, if you want.

And yes, v1.X integrates into the dashboard a LOT more. And is much better for WHS2011, in my opinion.

As for "Deleted all the duplicated files", that's not supposed to happen. However, it may have kicked off a "duplication pass" to check it's status. 

Thanks, I think I will stay on v.1 for a while because it solved my problem with the Server Folders nicely and you know, never change a running system :-) (only thing I miss in v.1 is File Duplication on the Entire Pool, it seems I needed to switch each and every folder on)

The duplicated files were definitely gone. Found the same folder on two drives, one empty, one full and harddisk freespace indicated there is only one copy left. Now after I switched folder duplication to yes, it started to duplicate again.

So if you come from v.2 with File Duplication on and change to v1. it seems to get rid of the duplicated files..