Jump to content
Covecube Inc.
  • 0
Dan

Drive Duplication

Question

6 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Just a heads up, even if you do turn on duplication for the drive, it won't duplicate all of the data, automatically.  It will only duplicate data that is written to.  So you'd need to rewrite the entire contents of the drive to properly duplicate the data.  

It may be simpler/better to create a new drive with duplication enabled and just move the data over, as much as a pain as that may be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

It would be awesome if after turning ON drive duplication, it would notice that it's missing parts and would automatically 'repair' so to speak...

I'm sure it's more complicated than that... I'm currently copying everything over to a new drive that has duplication turned ON from the get-go... but unfortunately takes twice as long as duplicating a drive that has already been populated as it would only be half the data being uploaded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I’m super tempted to install the RC.. But if it not GM I get a little weary.

Not sure how close to GM it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 8/14/2019 at 11:26 AM, JulesTop said:

It would be awesome if after turning ON drive duplication, it would notice that it's missing parts and would automatically 'repair' so to speak...

Yeah, it would, and it is something that we've talked about internally.   But "complicated" is a bit of an understatement, and it would eat up a lot more bandwidth, etc.  

On 8/14/2019 at 2:09 PM, Dan said:

I’m super tempted to install the RC.. But if it not GM I get a little weary.

Not sure how close to GM it is.

We should have a release for it out Very SoonTM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
18 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Yeah, it would, and it is something that we've talked about internally.   But "complicated" is a bit of an understatement, and it would eat up a lot more bandwidth, etc.  

We should have a release for it out Very SoonTM

Maybe this could be a slow process taking maybe maximum of 100 GB per day or something (maybe a limit you set yourself, where you showcase it would take ~X amount days to finish), with a progress overview. Having maybe 50 TB would be a huge pain to migrate manually, while i would be OK with just waiting months for it to finish properly - ofc. knowing the risk that data could be lost meanwhile as its not duplicated yet

Would also make it possible to decide to change to duplication later on instead of having to choose early on :) with Google Drive it does limit the upload per day, so could be nicer to upload first and then duplicate later when you are not uploading anymore :)

Another good feature could also just be an overview of how much you uploaded/downloaded from a drive in a single day - could be great to monitor how close you are to the upload limit on google drive drives :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 8/17/2019 at 12:44 PM, steffenmand said:

Maybe this could be a slow process taking maybe maximum of 100 GB per day or something (maybe a limit you set yourself, where you showcase it would take ~X amount days to finish), with a progress overview. Having maybe 50 TB would be a huge pain to migrate manually, while i would be OK with just waiting months for it to finish properly - ofc. knowing the risk that data could be lost meanwhile as its not duplicated yet

Would also make it possible to decide to change to duplication later on instead of having to choose early on :) with Google Drive it does limit the upload per day, so could be nicer to upload first and then duplicate later when you are not uploading anymore :)

Another good feature could also just be an overview of how much you uploaded/downloaded from a drive in a single day - could be great to monitor how close you are to the upload limit on google drive drives :)

Those are all awesome ideas!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...