Drivepool on new Windows install

gshum

Question

Hi,

I'm using drivepool right now on my media center... but it runs really slow and I really need to upgrade the CPU+Mobo+RAM. Right now I have a first gen i5 in it and it's not cutting it.

I was thinking of going with a Ryzen 5 1600x and 8 GB of DDR4 RAM....

Of course, I will need to reinstall windows. Are there any files I need to copy to setup my drivepool again? I have like 5-6 drives in the pool right now. If I reinstall drivepool do I just add them again to a new pool and everything will go smoothly or is there some procedure to restore the setup I had with my previous pool? I have 2x redundancy and TV/movie folder that's spread across all the drives.

Thanks.

12 answers to this question

AFAIK, all  you need to do is / how I would do this:
1. De-activate license on current PC (write down the license key somewhere)
2. Disconnect the Pooled HDDs (I am assuming that none of the HDDs also have the OS partition on it BTW)
3. Build the new PC and install Windows
4. Download and install DrivePool
5. Shut down PC, connect the Pool HDDs and boot. Presto! DP should recognise the Pool. Do NOT make a new Pool.

There may be an issue with access rights on the Pool. For that use http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5510455

I have the same question except I am migrating from WHS 2011 to WSE 2016. This will require installing DrivePool 2.X instead of 1.X which I used to create the pool.

Will the DrivePool 2.X recognized the old Pool? 

Thanks in advance

@Umfriend

On 1/31/2019 at 8:25 AM, Umfriend said:

Disconnect the Pooled HDDs (I am assuming that none of the HDDs also have the OS partition on it BTW)

Hi - I'm about to do a migration. When you say "Disconnect" - does this mean "Remove" the drive within StableBit application tab or physically disconnect the drive?

On 3/16/2019 at 1:23 PM, Umfriend said:

In this case, it is a physical disconnect. It is not really neccessary but it ensures that you do not accidentally select a Pool HDD to install the OS on...

Yeah, physical drive. 

And I've seen Windows Setup install the bootloader on a data drive.  It's fine until that drive fails, or you format it.  Then you're screwed. 

On 3/16/2019 at 1:27 PM, stigzler said:

@Umfriend - Awesome + thanks for the quick reply. Do I also need to "remove" the drives in the WHS2011 Dashboard app? Of just do my new Windows HS install, install DrivePool and then physically re-connect the drives?

Nope.  The software on the new system will detect the pooled drives, and rebuild the pool.