Anything special required to replace OS drive?

Jeff

Question

Hi,

My Windows 10 boot drive is getting old and slow, and I'd like to swap it out for an SSD. This drive only has Windows and a couple apps on it - it is not part of the pool.

Is there anything special that DrivePool requires when migrating to a new OS drive, or can I just use a clone tool to copy the contents to the new drive and it will keep on working?

Actually, I've never done this before in Windows. I think hard drives usually come with some software for copying data to the new drive, will that work for an OS drive?

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

I have cloned OS drives on a number of occasions. Never had an issue. That is assuming, of course, that the OS is not on a HDD of which another partition is part of the Pool (should work as well but you'll have two bootable drives until you delete the old partition and that may be somewhat confusing).

On 1/17/2019 at 11:49 AM, Jeff said:

Is there anything special that DrivePool requires when migrating to a new OS drive, or can I just use a clone tool to copy the contents to the new drive and it will keep on working?

As long as the system drive is not pooled, you shouldn't have any issues.

Though, ideally, a new install is best. Though, I can understand not wanting to do that.