Covecube Inc.
Sign in to follow this  
Roger79

Alternative to duplication in DP

Question

I am considering to make two separate pools and instead of using duplication on a single pool, use some kind of software to synchronize the two pools to keep them equal. The reason for this is to be able to recover accidentally deleted or altered files that is shared on the network.

Do someone here have some thoughts on if it is a good way to go, or maybe recommend other solutions to be able to recover deleted/altered network files.

Roger J.

5 answers to this question

What do you mean? Wouldn't this be a backup solution? I am not going to use anything else than hard drives for my backups. Wether the hard drives are placed in the same computer case as the server, or in another enclosure next to it wouldn't make much of a difference in my opinion. 

Roger J.

Ah, well, when I read synchronise I always assume that that goes for changes and deletions as well. And with a backup solution I do mean something that goes offsite (in case of fire, theft etc).

I assume the software I'm looking for will place deleted/original files in a "recycle bin" type of folder. I have had a look at AllwaySync, but it doesn't look much like a backup software to me, even if it works similar to what i need.

Roger J.