Is "everything" (search tool) not compatible with drivepool?

ochompsky

Question

7 answers to this question

I can answer this question.  But you won't like the answer.

Everything REQUIRES a volume that is capable of JOURNALING in order to work its magic.  The volume provided by DRIVEPOOL does not support that.  I know, bummer, but these are the facts.  I've already gone over this before a couple of years ago and there should already be a forum thread that talks about this situation.

Now for a small bit of good news...you CAN get Everything to work with a DRIVEPOOL volume BUT it works slower.  You have to fiddle with the settings and ADD ALL DRIVEPOOL drives to a special list in Everything.  Do that, and then Everything will work, BUT, as I said, because Everything uses the JOURNALING info to work its high speed magic, you won't get the blazing speed you've come to expect...but at least the program will function.

Look at the following screencap.  You have to add any DRIVEPOOL drive you want to index as a special INDEXED FOLDER (like my S:\ drive, which is the root of my filesystem on my DRIVEPOOL volume).

image.png.ab323a10341bee0f118a14136bcd0ac4.png

Edited by Merwinsson
Add info

Indexing without the benefit of being able to use the file system journal will require more work, hence why it's slower and more disk intensive (and why it was brilliant of the author to make use of the journal).  That being said, once it's done, it's done, and Everything will then lay idle.  If you're using the Everything Service then Everything won't need to rescan until you reboot your computer.  And even though the scan is more intensive without the file system journal aiding it, what it's doing is still no big deal IMO, so I would say NO it's not a lot of extra wear.