File Placement

DotJun

Question

I am using the Ordered File Placement balancer. I have set it up so that it writes to my disc until it fills up and then it will move on to the next disc on the list. Is there a way to tell this balancer, or are there any balancers that are capable of ordering my files onto a consecutive list of discs based on the age of the file?

5 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Nope, sorry. That's not supported by the balancing code, at all. Unfortunately. 

that's a shame. I like the idea of file placement due to age so that all of my tv episodes stay together on the same drive, that way a minimal amount of discs would power up. They do start together but after so many re-balances the files end up all over the place.

On 11/29/2018 at 11:09 PM, DotJun said:

I like the idea of file placement due to age so that all of my tv episodes stay together on the same drive, that way a minimal amount of discs would power up. They do start together but after so many re-balances the files end up all over the place.

Assuming you save episodes in folders by Series/Season or somesuch, you could consider using File Placement rules. There you could say that Pool:\Series\Marvel\Sesamestreet\*.* should be located on HDD 4 for instance and Pool:\Series\Marvel\NCIS\*.*  of HDD 5.

BTW, AFAIK, when I access a Pool, all HDDs spin. Not sure but I think they do.

On 11/29/2018 at 2:09 PM, DotJun said:

that's a shame. I like the idea of file placement due to age so that all of my tv episodes stay together on the same drive, that way a minimal amount of discs would power up. They do start together but after so many re-balances the files end up all over the place.

Yeah, it is. 

Though, sorry for not posting more info here.

Part of the reason that this isn't possible, is that when the file is created, the software doesn't actually have an age. It's created later, IIRC.  So, we could implement something like that, but it would have a bunch of caveats, AT BEST.   

That said, the Ordered File Placement balancer does attempt to do this, but doesn't guarantee it. 

https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins