Crash....

PoolBoy

Question

I started Scanner in the morning and when I returned in the evening Scanner completed scanning a disk.
Unfortunately Scanner became unresponsive and didn't respond to any mouse clicks.
I rebooted my PC and Windows 10 started repairing a disk.
After 10 hours it was only at 10%, so I aborted it.
I know which disk it is.

Anyway I bypassed repair and booted my PC with the problematic disk attached. The disk is not part of a pool.
How do I proceed to repair it?

The disk doesn't show in 'Disk Management' 

13 answers to this question

I don't know, really. The few times I have had HDDs experience unreadable sectors, especially in the first sectors, those HDDs would often hang Scanner and even the PC, sometimes the PC would even refuse to boot.

What I have done in the past is insert some of those HDDs in an external USB dock. Unreadable but recognizable and initializable. Then scan again and see what it comes up with. Personally, I would not mind giving a HDD a second chance as long as the SMART atributes don't continue to deteriorate but Christopher is a lot more, uhm, hostile(?) to suspect HDDs and given the dramas (and time and frustration lost) that do occur he may be right.

Usually there should be a prompt when rebooting, so you can skip the check.  

Otherwise, it may be worth disconnecting it until the system boots, if the drive/port supports that.  
Once it's booted, you could "clear" that flag.  
Also, you could boot into the setup disk, and use the console there. 

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/manually-reset-or-clear-dirty-bit-in-windows-without-chkdsk/

Umfriend's suggestion of mounting it in an external dock after Windows has started is a good one.  And empty USB docks are usually inexpensive - I keep a spare or two handy for work.  It helps isolate it from the rest of your PC, but still allows all the usual utilities to be run against the disk/controller.  And it can even rule out controller/port issues due to being separated.

1 hour ago, Jaga said:

Umfriend's suggestion of mounting it in an external dock after Windows has started is a good one.  And empty USB docks are usually inexpensive - I keep a spare or two handy for work.  It helps isolate it from the rest of your PC, but still allows all the usual utilities to be run against the disk/controller.  And it can even rule out controller/port issues due to being separated.

I could not have put it better.

It's weird...
I connected my HTPC and it just boots and doesn't even see the disk. (Win 10)
My main PC starts repairing it, so obviously it sees the disk. 

I pulled out the disk and switched of automatic repair in the DOS box. Reconnected the disk. Booted. And....
Windows doesn't even see the disk. Not even in the disk management console. So I can't even attempt to repair from within windows.

How is it possible that Windows sees the disk at boot time but not when it's fully booted?

I decided to let Windows repair the disk. Extrapolating progress so far that will take about a week...

I've ordered a nice dock which will arrive monday.
In the meanwhile, can I let Windows continue repairing? Or is it known to mess up and there is better software for that? 

Any advise on recovery software? Or will Stabebit's Scanner do the job?

As far as repair goes, Scanner uses chkdsk to scan/repair the disk.  It's pretty reliable in that regard, so I'd let it do it's thing first and see what it reports, then determine if you want to take it to the next level (3rd party repair tools).

I don't know but, assuming the data on it is present and recoverable elsewhere,  I would yank it out of my system, open it, scratch the surfaces of the disks and throw it away. IMHO, chances are that HDD is toast, as in really toast. You might want to try and read SMART through scanner to see what it comes up with (perhaps attaching through an external dock well after boot). How large and how old is it anyway?

The disk is 3TB.
I've ordered a dock as suggested; so'll keep scanning until monday evening when the dock arrives.
The data isn't replaceable but, blush, I don't remember the exact contents. So the most important for me is the directory listing. 

Yep, if it reset to 0%, it sounds like Scanner detected something wrong there, or the drive dismounted and Scanner had to restart the scan.

At this point I'd recommend stopping Scanner, shutting the computer off, removing the drive physically, waiting for the dock and mounting it in there, and then re-connecting the dock only after Windows (& Scanner) have booted up.  Then you can restart a scan on the drive.

If it's truly damaged, allowing it to keep running in a situation where the problematic part could be the controller, or the port, or the cable..  probably isn't advantageous to retrieving data off the drive.

Just check progress and the automatic repair is completed. Windows booted. The drive shows in 'This PC" but isn't accessible.
Computer management sees the drive too, but it takes 5 minutes to open Computer Management. Something obviously isn't ok. The disk is marked as Healthy (Primary partition)

Scanner reports 9919 damage sectors. No SMART problems.
Scanner is slow starting up and becomes unresponsive when asked some info about the disk.

Running a recovery tool now for over 20 hours. 8 hours to go.... like 20 hours ago.
But it seems to work, it keeps finding files. Can't say they are really recoverable, but so far so good.

Edited by PoolBoy
Status update

8 hours ago, Jaga said:

Yep, if it reset to 0%, it sounds like Scanner detected something wrong there, or the drive dismounted and Scanner had to restart the scan.

It was not Scanner that resets, but Windows boot time repair.
Scanner was never even able to see the disk.