Damaged Flash Drive - CHKDSK finds nothing

mcrommert

Question

So i have read 

and 

on this issue but I still don't know why i'm running into this problem.  I am on Beta 2.5.2.3128 and while none of the spinning drives have problems and older tiny usb flash drive is pulling errors.

image.thumb.png.0b5221511d227717ca9a71f8414e73f6.png

I then ran a chkdsk /f on the drive and no errors were found or fixed after a very long run.  After i moved to the beta release of scanner ( i had been on stable)  i ran again after clearing the drives status (both readable and unreadable) and ran again.  I have the exact same errors.  Just want to know how to proceed as i had planned to continue using this drive but am now unsure whether there is any issue.  I am transferring files off the drive and did have one not move correctly.

EDIT:  Also its inconsistent...this was the first scan

31033793_10100672720424883_1557384540_o.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=6c3b16b1eae9b114bb602126a91b0f64&oe=5AEA6414

And this is the final - the blocks don't match up

image.thumb.png.04030ecc542f993f289b437f8dfaeb56.png

13 answers to this question

Have you considered it may not be the flash-drive that's causing this? Try the USB controller or the motherboard. Especially check if the board gets enough power. I've seen USB drives unjustifiably getting the blame for issues more often than I can count, while a mainboard was broken, or PSU didn't have enough power left for the USB lanes.

If that's ruled out, and it still fails, try running SpinRite level 2 scan on the USB-drive (or similar software). May work wonders.

12 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

^

Right click on the drive, and run the "Burst Test".

If this comes back with issues, then it's the connection to the drive that is flaky, and would by why you're seeing inconsistency with the surface scan. 

Running...will report back

EDIT:  may only run it for a few hours...i don't think this tiny usb drive could handle a constant 24 hour run

SanDisk ® Cruzer Fit ⢠32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ33-032G-A46)

Agree with Christopher on USB flash drives - they are really only reliable enough for transporting data temporarily, and if you value that data you should always have it mirrored elsewhere.

Think of them like Dixie paper cups, compared to a strong aluminum camping thermos which is a good solid enterprise drive.  Now step on each.  There's a difference in durability.  :)

Since you're already seeing errors from it (random ones non-withstanding), I'd say it isn't long for this world.  Especially if it's subjected to ~24 hours worth of tests.  Replace when able!

I'm having a similar issue on a Samsung 850 EVO. I thought any unreadable sectors on a SSD should get remapped?

Samsung Magician reports the drive as "Good"

I'm trying to figure if I need to RMA this drive. The server it is in hasn't shown any adverse effects so far.

The "bad" sectors mean there was a read issue.  It can indicate a disk issue, but it can also indicate a communication issue (bad SATA cable, bad PCB on the drive, a bad controller, or even a memory issue). 

Running the burst test (right click on the drive in question, in StableBit Scanner) for 24 hours or so should give a good indication. 

On 5/1/2018 at 11:22 PM, Jaga said:

Agree with Christopher on USB flash drives - they are really only reliable enough for transporting data temporarily, and if you value that data you should always have it mirrored elsewhere.

Think of them like Dixie paper cups, compared to a strong aluminum camping thermos which is a good solid enterprise drive.  Now step on each.  There's a difference in durability.  :)

Since you're already seeing errors from it (random ones non-withstanding), I'd say it isn't long for this world.  Especially if it's subjected to ~24 hours worth of tests.  Replace when able!

Again, this is highly exaggerated. I have USB flash drives that have been used since the early 2000s that are still holding the data that was written on it the last time, somewhere in 2004. If your USB flash storage medium is of any decent brand, and not written to extensively, it'll hold its data just fine for years on end. They have a limits of a couple of terabytes to endure to have written to them, and in my career I have only seen 1 or 2 that gave up on me because they had seen bits written to one time too many, that's about 5% of the USB flash-media I've ever touched or worked with.