CloudDrive+Pool+2 GDrive Accounts = Double Upload/API?

Bowsa

Question

Hey I was wondering if this would be a good idea and/if it would work?

• Two Google Drive Accounts
  • One 16TB Cloud Drive on Account One and another 16TB Cloud Drive on Account Two
  • Pool them together through DrivePool = 32 TB Shared Data

Would this result in the following?

Saving/uploading a file to this Aggregate Cloud Drive Pool would use the software's Drive Balancing to Distribute files in their entirety (Video File 1 - with it's various chunks on Drive One --- Video File 2 - with it's various chunks on Drive Two) or would it upload 50% of the chunks from Video file 1 to Drive 1 and the other 50% to Drive 2?

My Goal is to have a distributed Cloud DrivePool not simply for increased storage, but the effective doubling of my Upload Cap for the day 1,500 GB Daily vs 750, along with doubling my API calls/reliability?

Would this be a good option?

That way if there's a file playing from Drive A, and another from Drive B simultaneously I can avoid throttling by not having so many download requests in a short time?

Reason being that if I have 10 Download threads enable (to avoid DDOS protection) and I use two separate drives (or more likely 1 drive and multiple file/chunk-group request) on the same provider, would it be slower or more straining on the download requests?

My idea sounds great in theory, but I wanted confirmation to see if the software would work this way?

9 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Bowsa said:

My Goal is to have a distributed Cloud DrivePool not simply for increased storage, but the effective doubling of my Upload Cap for the day 1,500 GB Daily vs 750, along with doubling my API calls/reliability?

Yes, the limit is per account.  So adding more accounts "should" mean more uploads. 

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2424368

This link "may" show you that information.  And by may, my personal account doesn't show it, but the work (gsuite) account does.  "Do no evil", indeed.

Direct quote:

Note: You can upload up to 750GB a day per account.

3 hours ago, Bowsa said:

Saving/uploading a file to this Aggregate Cloud Drive Pool would use the software's Drive Balancing to Distribute files in their entirety (Video File 1 - with it's various chunks on Drive One --- Video File 2 - with it's various chunks on Drive Two) or would it upload 50% of the chunks from Video file 1 to Drive 1 and the other 50% to Drive 2?

Yes and no. It's not "per file" but the balancing is based on the amount of free space. 

But it should work out roughly this way. 

3 hours ago, Bowsa said:

Reason being that if I have 10 Download threads enable (to avoid DDOS protection) and I use two separate drives (or more likely 1 drive and multiple file/chunk-group request) on the same provider, would it be slower or more straining on the download requests?

All very good ideas, actually.   And this is more or less what I'd recommend.  But generally, less threads is better. 

On 3/3/2018 at 2:57 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Yes, the limit is per account.  So adding more accounts "should" mean more uploads. 

As clouddrive doesn't use personal gdrive API keys, how does it double api calls? I figured this would just increase the upload limit.

Also, some clarification. Is this using distinct gsuite accounts, or can it simply be multiple users under one gsuite account each with their own gdrive account? Does each user on the Gsuite account each get 750 GB upload a day?

Well, there is no API limit, at least that's being hit.  It's the hard set daily upload limit.  There is the link above, but unless you have a GSuite account ... you can't see the text about this ("do no evil" my ass) 

So the concern isn't actually the API limit. It's the amount of data.  Once you hit that, you will start getting API errors, because of how Google handles this.  So, that may be part of the confusion. 

16 hours ago, darkly said:

Also, some clarification. Is this using distinct gsuite accounts, or can it simply be multiple users under one gsuite account each with their own gdrive account? Does each user on the Gsuite account each get 750 GB upload a day?

It affects ALL google accounts, but is only acknowledged for G Suite accounts. 

So yes, multiple user accounts under a single GSuite account would get around this limit.  

14 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Well, there is no API limit, at least that's being hit.  It's the hard set daily upload limit.  There is the link above, but unless you have a GSuite account ... you can't see the text about this ("do no evil" my ass) 

So the concern isn't actually the API limit. It's the amount of data.  Once you hit that, you will start getting API errors, because of how Google handles this.  So, that may be part of the confusion. 

It affects ALL google accounts, but is only acknowledged for G Suite accounts. 

So yes, multiple user accounts under a single GSuite account would get around this limit.  

If DrivePool is distributing data between multiple gdrive accounts, does that also increase the potential read/write speed of the drive?
My current setup is a 256TB CloudDrive partitioned into 8 32TB partitions. All 8 partitions are pooled into 1 DrivePool. That DrivePool is nested within a second DrivePool (so I can add additional 8-partition pools to that in the future). Basically: Pool(Pool(CloudDrive(part1,part2,part3,...,part8))). Hypothetically, if I did something like Pool(Pool(CloudDrive_account1(part1,part2,part3,...,part8)),Pool(CloudDrive_account2(part1,part2,part3,...,part8),Pool(CloudDrive_account3(part1,part2,part3,...,part8)), would I see a noticeable increase in performance, OTHER than the higher upload limit?

On 4/3/2018 at 5:58 AM, darkly said:

If DrivePool is distributing data between multiple gdrive accounts, does that also increase the potential read/write speed of the drive?
My current setup is a 256TB CloudDrive partitioned into 8 32TB partitions. All 8 partitions are pooled into 1 DrivePool. That DrivePool is nested within a second DrivePool (so I can add additional 8-partition pools to that in the future). Basically: Pool(Pool(CloudDrive(part1,part2,part3,...,part8))). Hypothetically, if I did something like Pool(Pool(CloudDrive_account1(part1,part2,part3,...,part8)),Pool(CloudDrive_account2(part1,part2,part3,...,part8),Pool(CloudDrive_account3(part1,part2,part3,...,part8)), would I see a noticeable increase in performance, OTHER than the higher upload limit?

For what purpose do you have One Large Drive with multiple partitions, instead of multiple drives pooled together?

Is there any benefit?

On 3/5/2018 at 5:11 PM, Burken said:

i run one setup with 10 google accounts to get away from the daliy limits.

So yes it works!

Do you mind explaining this a bit? I have 3 gdrive accounts and currently uploading 10TB or so... and it's taking forever as I have real time duplication on... so my effective speed is about 75Mbps even though I'm using 225Mbps across my accounts.

I would love to share the load, unload my local HDDs faster and duplicate at a later time... but whenever I try turning off real time duplication, it still only uploads to one of my gdrives and just ignores the rest. I'm not sure at what point it switches from one gdrive to another... but it seems to focus on one.

I assumed that the issue was because the calculation is done on drive percentage free, and since they are 55TB drives, the imbalance of 30-50Gb (during my tests) wasn't triggering anything.