Win 10 reports insufficient space when copying 460GB folder to drivepool with 6TB free space

dominator99

Question

I have 14 mixed size HDD's in my drivepool on a Windows 10 Pro x64 PC giving a total drivepool size of about 24TB with about 7TB free space. I use x3 duplication.

When I tried to copy approx 465GB to the drivepool over my LAN from another Win 11 Pro PC, windows 11 reported insufficient free space!

I also tried copying the same folder to a 4TB HDD, with about 3TB free space, that is a member of the same drivepool with the same error about insufficient free space!

All 14 HDD's are reported as 'healthy' by stablebit scanner.

Could this be a drivepool issue or a Win 11 issue?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

4 answers to this question

Windows bases its initial decision on whether the total size of the files/folders being copied is less than the pool's free space as reported by DrivePool. So with 465 GB of files going into 7 TB of free space, Windows should at least start the operation.

That said, if you have real-time duplication x3 enabled, to finish copying a 465GB folder into the pool you'd need 3 times 465GB of free space available in the pool, and each and every file involved would need to fit within the remaining free space available in at least three drives within the pool (even if not necessarily the same three drives for different files). E.g. if one of the files was 300GB and less than three drives in the pool had more than 300GB free each, then it wouldn't be able to complete the operation.

If none of the above is applicable - e.g. you mention trying to copy 465GB directly to an individual drive with 3TB free and it didn't work - then something weird is going on.