System Shutdowns after adding 4TB Drive (WHS 2011)

Otagolad

Question

I've recently added an external 4TB drive (USB 3.0) to the pool and not long after adding it I am having system shutdowns about once a week or so.  This is the first 4TB drive I've added and the first on USB 3.0.  Has anyone else had this issue?  The system boots up fine and duplication is fine afterwards and then anywhere from 2-3 days to 10 days later I get the shut-down happening again.  Home Server SMART 2013 says all disks are fine in the pool so I don't think it's that.  Does DrivePool or WHS 2011 have an issue with 4TB drives or USB 3.0 connected drives?  The issue may of course be unrelated to the 4TB drive but it is very co-incidental.

Any help most appreciated and please let me know what further info you might need.

3 answers to this question

I have both a 4TB USB 3.0 drive as well as a couple 3TB USB3.0 drives and I'm not having any problems like this. My guess is you're having a problem with the USB 3.0 driver. Did you check the Event Viewer to see if a reason for the shutdown is logged? Often you can spot where the problem lies by looking at the name of the faulting process.

That definitely sounds like an issue with the drivers for the USB3 port, if I had to make a guess.

There should be details in the event viewer. If not, then could you upload the crashdump?

There is a widget at the bottom of this page to upload the dump (zip it first though):

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_System_Crashes