Adding existing disks to pool question

logbit

Question

I am currently evaluating drivepool 2.0.320 on windows 8 and drivepool 1.3.2.7556 on whs2011.

On my Windows 8 PC (used as an HTPC) I have five media disks (3 x 2TB, 2 x 1.5TB and 1 x 1TB).

The are drives D:, E:, F:, G: and H: and are named DATA-1 thru' DATA-5

Each of the disks are 50 - 75% full.

I added each of these disks to a new pool and now the DrivePool drive J: is showing 7.73TB and 2.82TB free.

My question is this: If I move a folder from outside of the pool (say on Drive D: (DATA-1) into Drive J: (DrivePool), does all the data get read and written or will it be moved quickly (like moving a folder within an existing disk)?

4 answers to this question

It depends on how you move the files.

The recommended way is to move the files to the J:\ drive. This may go fast, but it may not go "super fast". 

However, if you don't mind "messing around with stuff".... there is a hidden "PoolPart.xxxx" folder in the root of each drive that has been added to the pool.  You can move contents into this folder, and it will show up in the pool. This would be the quickest method to do so.

The default is that all the data gets read and written (move-via-copy) rather than a straight move operation, as Windows sees the pool drive as being a different disk.

Like drashna says though, you can take advantage of the hidden PoolPart folder on the same drive to do a straight move operation.

It depends on how you move the files.

The recommended way is to move the files to the J:\ drive. This may go fast, but it may not go "super fast". 

However, if you don't mind "messing around with stuff".... there is a hidden "PoolPart.xxxx" folder in the root of each drive that has been added to the pool.  You can move contents into this folder, and it will show up in the pool. This would be the quickest method to do so.

Thanks for this - looks easy enough and will achieve what I want :)

Yup, very simple, and super fast.

One more thing.... you may want to download the WSS Troubleshooter util, and use the "Reset NTFS permissions on the pool" option to make sure it's all "kosher". (otherwise, you could get security permission issues).

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Error_Reports