Covecube Inc.
  • Announcements

• Christopher (Drashna)

Getting Help   11/07/17

If you're experiencing problems with the software, the best way to get ahold of us is to head to https://stablebit.com/Contact, especially if this is a licensing issue.    Issues submitted there are checked first, and handled more aggressively. So, especially if the problem is urgent, please head over there first. 
m&m

External Options for DrivePool Disks

Question

I have a bunch of older 3, 4 and 6TB drives that aren't currently in my main system that i want to make use of.  What are some suggested options to externally adding these to a drive pool?  I saw this in one post IB-3680SU3 and have seen something like this before as well Mediasonic H82-SU3S2  is there anything i should be aware of to make this work optimally?  I'll also have a few drives in my main system that would be part of the pool as well.

5 answers to this question

No issues.

I would recommend eSATA over USB, if you have the option (it's more stable, for long term storage).

Also, you may want to read up on the hierarchical pooling in the beta. (store one copy internally and one externally)

http://blog.covecube.com/2017/09/stablebit-drivepool-2-2-0-847-beta/

I have a question on external drives

I have a computer with about 14 Drives giving me 40 TB of movie space and duplications and running Windows Server 2012 Essentials. I purchased a Newer Synology NAS running four 8 TB Red drives because I have a lot more movies to load. I was trying to decide how to hook the NAS to DrivePool.  Since DrivePool does the duplication, can I just set those four Red drives to Basic so each drive is separate and allow DrivePool to do it's thing?  My question is what is the best way to get DrivePool to see those four drives so I can add them to the pool, since they are in the NAS and not in the server?

Not a problem.  And that you didn't need to read the manuals is a testament to it's simplicity. :)

That said, iSCSI does work, and work well.  And so does StableBit CloudDrive, using the "File share" provider.  And both wouldn't let you access the existing data, unfortunately.