• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Building new server from scratch!

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#41 hansolo77

hansolo77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 02:30 AM

Now I want to get one of these:

http://www.45drives....torage/xl60.php

HEHE!!  Thanks for the advice there Chris.  I'm actually going to be getting ECC Ram with the new motherboard because it only supports ECC.  The RAM I'm going to buy buying is this:

Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600 Server Memory w/TS Model KVR16E11/8 (linky)

I was concerned initially about it not having a heat spreader or some other form of heat sink, but after looking around a bit it looks like all server memory is like that.  This particular model is 8gb, and listed on the motherboard's memory support list.  So I will buy 1 now, with the motherboard and CPU, and then upgrade the CPU, then buy more memory as needed.  The CPU I will get further down the line is:

Intel Xeon E3-1276 v3 Haswell 3.6GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1150 84W Server Processor BX80646E31276V3 (linky)

Again, this is the best CPU I could find that the motherboard officially supports.  And I'm going to get an after market cooler too, and this one is really teasing my interest:

Noctua NH-U9S 92mm SSO2 U-Type Premium CPU Cooler, NF-A9 PWM Fans (linky)

It's out of stock at the moment, but after reading some internet reviews of some of Noctua's other models, this one will actually fit inside the Norco case.  Other models have issues with the heatpipe post tips.  Hopefully I'm linking the correct one here.  But yeah, I'm hoping this upgrade will suit me for the time being.  If money was no object, I'd probably buy that 60-bay case, and have 2 of the latest E5 Xeons that have 15 cores and 30mb L3 Cache that's like $2,800 along with a few TB's of RAM!!

• Ginoliggime likes this

#42 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

Customer and Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, USA

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:55 PM

LOL, yeah, those boxes are nice.

However, if money was no object, why not 90 drives?

http://www.supermicr...6ED-R2KJBOD.cfm:)

And yeah, most ECC ram doesn't have heat spreaders. They don't really need them, from what I understand (and that include consumer stuff too... it just looks cooler). 

However, from my experience, all ECC RAM does include temperature sensors on the sticks. So there is that. :)

As for the heatsink, just remember that you want to have some clearance. The motherboard is mounted on risers, the screws are raised a bit, and the CPU socket is raised a bit above the rest of the board.

And I specifically used the Noctua NH-C14 in my system (as there were not very many other good options at the time).

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

Microsoft MVP for Windows Home Server 2009-2012

Lead Moderator for We Got Served

Moderator for Home Server Show

This is my server

Lots of "Other" data on your pool? Read about what it is here.

#43 hansolo77

hansolo77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:55 AM

Duh.. duh.. duh.. that case is INSANE!!!  I thought the 60 drive one was ridiculous, but 90?! :)  How in the heck are they able to keep that thing cool?  Also, they only sell that chassis prebuilt with drives included.  I'd hate to know how much that would cost at 90 drives times 8tb...

I'm not worried about the ECC ram.  The one I linked to (w/TS) means with temp sensor.  So it can decrease the speed as needed.  I was going to use the word throttle there instead of decrease, but to me; Throttle means "step on the gas" and go faster... so I feel like this is a term that needs changed.

The heat sink is still a questionable thing, since it's going to be bought last (like literally after I've used the new CPU and verify it works).  So I have plenty of time to choose what's best.  I do know that I will be buying something though because I've read a lot of reviews that say the supplied Intel cooler just isn't up to typical usage requirements.  The thing about the Noctua I listed though, it's been used in other people's builds that have this exact same case.  The only thing that would be different is the cpu/motherboard.  I think I would prefer a standing tower type cooler as opposed to the classic fan on top style to help with moving more hot air from the drives towards the back vent fans.  This particular model comes with 1 fan and can add an additional one in the future (which I probably would do just for ease of mind).

I'm still trying to decide what would be best for me as far as the fan wall is concerned.  It seems like the biggest noise I have is from the back fans.  With the cover on the case, I don't really notice the fan wall noise.  I've been looking around, and although the Noctua fans are a lot quieter, they also don't move as much air, so cooling may be problem.  There's also the option to get 120mm fans with the replacement fan wall, but even those seem to suffer from less air flow compared to the current set.  So I'm not sure if it's really worth it to buy the 3-120mm fan wall and fans, or get quieter 80mm's.  I just don't know.  I do know I'm definitely going to replace the back exhaust fans because they're really loud, and honestly don't even move as much air as the ones in the fan wall do.  So they can definitely be swapped out for something different.

Week #1 of saving for the mobo combo is done.  I'm sitting at $100.  Not a lot, but it's the best I can do.  I worked a lot of hours last week though (32 to me is a lot heh) so the paycheck should be nice this week.  Fingers crossed I can get the stuff ordered this week.  If not, I'm definitely going to be ok come next week!

#44 Ryo

Ryo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:14 AM

I'm running xeon 1246 V3 socket 1150 and its an awesome chip.

• Christopher (Drashna) likes this

#45 hansolo77

hansolo77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:31 PM

I'm kinda bummed today.  Got paid at midnight, and was hoping to order my parts today.  Then I found out I had to make a copay at my Dr's appointment today, which usually they BILL me for.  So I ended up not having enough money to order stuff this week.  Now I gotta wait ANOTHER week.  Such is the life of living paycheck to paycheck.  I don't hate people, but I'm feeling very bitter towards these jerks who drive around in brand new cars, can buy whatever/whenever, and still have money just laying around the house that their cats can pee on.  Yeah, I'm actually feeling a bit depressed now that I think about it.  Haven't been LOW in a long time.  I mean, it's not like I was expecting it anyway, even my last post I said I was going to order next week for sure anyway.  Maybe its the news that my doctor thinks I might have Sleep Apnea.  Maybe it's that he wanted me to lose 20 pounds before he saw me again, and I thought I did, just to find out it was only 7.  Maybe it's just because I have a really bad headache because I had to fast before I could see him, and my appointment wasn't until 2:30pm and I didn't get to eat anything until like 4:00pm.  Whatever it is, I feel like I just wanna crawl into a hole and wither. 

Don't worry about me though!  I'm not the suicidal type.  I'm afraid of death, and the life long agony and pain I'd suffer with if I didn't do it right in the first place.  I just need to chill and relax and realize there's always next week.

#46 hansolo77

hansolo77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:37 AM

Ok, so I was checking my paystubs yesterday to try and figure out why my check this week was so small. Turned out I actually got 2 checks, but only 1 was deposited through direct deposit. The other was a $500 "Lump Sum" check that taxes got a hold of. Apparently where I work they have a new union contract going into affect, where we're only going to be getting like $1.50 raise over the next 5 years. Pretty shitty. But they sent everybody who is topped out at their position (like me apparently) a bonus check. Sucks it wasn't tax free, but I got one anyway, that's what the $500 was for. After taxes, it was like $307. But that's plenty for me to buy my new server parts with the other money I had saved!

So, Chris (or somebody else...), should I still go forward with my plans to buy the Celeron first, or should I go bigger? I don't have enough money to get the Xeon AND the other parts right now, so I wouldn't really benefit with getting something better, especially if I'm going to turn back around and upgrade it in a few weeks after I've verified it all works anyway.

Also, I'm still trying to decide on if I should get that 120mm 3-fan wall or not. Can anybody comment on how well it performs with air flow and keeping drives cool? Obviously I'd want to get some Noctua fans for it, but does the temp suffer because of the quieter fans?

#47 lee1978

lee1978

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:12 AM

Check eBay in the uk you can pick up dual xenon quad core 2.8 16gig to 32gig dell 29** for around 50 to 100 strip it down use the parts in your own server

#48 hansolo77

hansolo77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:56 PM

Hmm.  Price is good, but I live in the USA. :)

#49 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:15 AM

I'm sorry to hear about the finances, as that sucks. :(

And I definitely understand the rest of it. Sometimes it feels like the world just tries to kick you when you're already down. :(

As for what parts to get, yeah the celeron (or maybe a pentium) may be the best choice for now.

As for the fan wall .... not really. the 80mm fans should be fine. THey're not too loud to start off with (IIRC), but you can switch a few of them out with noctua or other fans.  And depending on how many drives you have to start off with (sorry, I don't remember), it should be more than fine (even if you only have a couple of the fans connected).

Though, ebay may still be a good idea. You should be able to find stuff in the US section as well.

The only downside is that a lot of it is older hardware.

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#50 hansolo77

hansolo77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:48 AM

Dang it, got the $307 deposited but because it was the weekend it never showed up in my bank as available.  So I couldn't buy the parts yet.  Then later today I had to pay a few bills (namely, my subscriptions to my seedbox and my usenet provider lol).  Now I'm back down to around $100, and that $300 sure is taking its sweet time lol.  I'm going to play it safe though and wait until next payday.

I'm definitely going to get the Celeron then since it's the cheapest and sure-fire way to make sure all my components work.  Hopefully, fingers crossed, it'll boot up OK and I'll just have to get a better CPU later.  If not, I don't know what I'll do, besides pull my hair out lol!  I mean, I wouldn't be able to test another CPU, or RAM stick, and it might be the mobo that's bad.  No real way to tell.  No sense worrying about something that might not even happen anyway.

As I have it right now, using all stock fans, it is about as loud as it was with my old case, with 7 120mm fans all at full power.  They weren't engineered for silence though.  I am noticing temps hovering around the 40c mark right now, and I have 16 drives installed currently.  That's the most I can do with my current motherboard and expansion cards.  The heat is looking OK, but borderline I think.  A lot of my drives are older (3-5 years) and I don't want to push their heats.  The 4tb SAS drive though is sitting nice and cool at 33c, and my hottest drives around 41-42c.

Also, I'm in the USA too buddy.  Not sure why you'd mention finding US eBay stuff.  :P

#51 hansolo77

hansolo77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:54 PM

UPDATE!!

"Pulled the Trigger" and ordered my new server upgrade base components from NewEgg!

$198.99 - ASRock E3C224-4L Motherboard (link)

$044.99 - Intel Celeron G1820 CPU (link)

$057.99 - Kingston 8gb Memory (link)

-----------

$301.97 - Total

I've done a bunch of research and gotten help from various forums including this one.  This build seems to be the best option for my current budget.  After spending 3-4 weeks of saving up, what with bills and the unexpected expenses, I've finally got these bad boys on the way!  The next "phase" of my server build will be to get a SAS expander card, to increase the 2 port (8 drive) controller Chris sold me to a full 24 drive capacity.  I've got 2 in mind.  One is is a little more expensive than the other, but is also more well supported and frequently used in home server builds, while the other has (visually) more future proof with an added external port and (again visually) 32 drive capacity.  Would like to hear from other users as to their recommendations.

HP Board (link) - Advertised as 24-port 6G.  Actually has physically 9 plugs.  So that would be 28 drives internal (7x4) and ?? external, and the 1 Input.  ~$160 (price has been steadily dropping...)

Intel Board (link) (link) (link) (etc) - Advertised as 24-Port 6G.  Actually has physically 6 plugs.  So in reality, that's only 20 drives internal (5x4) and the 1 input.  ~$200 (price varies)

I'm really leaning towards the HP, because I (correct me if I'm wrong) can plug both connections from the Controller card into the HP, and still get 24 drives, PLUS the added benefit of double bandwith because of using both plugs.  If not, I can still have it be useful for future proofing to an extra JBOD enclosure should I need one in the future.  What do you guys think?

#52 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:15 PM

Well, glad to hear it, and I hope it all treats you well!

As for the HP SAS Expander card, yup, exactly. And the external port can be used to attach additional cases. :)

And if you're grabbing it through ebay, if they have a "make an offer" option, you can always low ball them. In a lot of cases, they're more concerned with moving the hardware than the price.

Though, I'm not sure about plugging in both ot the board. But you should get plenty of bandwidth through the one cable (remember, each cable is a 4 lane 6gbps connection, and in theory, can support ~3GB/s which can handle ~25 drives running at 120MB/s at the same time)

For the Intel one, yup. Again, lowball. The one I have was advertised for $150. I offered $70 and they accepted. So definitely try.

Also, you could pick up two intel cards, and then later on (when you run out of space, haha), and get the internal to external SAS adapters. Several, even. 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#53 hansolo77

hansolo77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:29 PM

The only issue I can foresee is that the LSI Controller won't be able to handle that many drives.  Remember a few weeks ago I discovered that the controller may be only able to support like 36 drives (I think I discussed that through PM).  I'll just have to wait and see.  I think for the most part, to run 24 drives is probably good enough, I'll just work on upgrading to higher capacity drives.  Is it better to run everything through the expander if possible, or would it be more wise to "share" the load by having maybe 4 drives connected directly to the controller?  Also, should I even bother getting the 6gbps expander; would the LSI controller be capable of that throughput?

In other news, I'm sick.  Was at work yesterday and after about 30 minutes I started feeling very nauseous.  About 30 minutes after that I started developing this huge migraine.  Dealt with it and continued on, then started feeling really hot/cold, clamy, etc.  Left work early and threw up at home.  Crashed in bed and slept for the last 13 hours.  Woke up today and threw up again, sinus's are stuffed.  Called off work.  I'm very icky.  :(

#54 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:35 PM

The only issue I can foresee is that the LSI Controller won't be able to handle that many drives.  Remember a few weeks ago I discovered that the controller may be only able to support like 36 drives (I think I discussed that through PM).  I'll just have to wait and see.  I think for the most part, to run 24 drives is probably good enough, I'll just work on upgrading to higher capacity drives.  Is it better to run everything through the expander if possible, or would it be more wise to "share" the load by having maybe 4 drives connected directly to the controller?  Also, should I even bother getting the 6gbps expander; would the LSI controller be capable of that throughput?

In other news, I'm sick.  Was at work yesterday and after about 30 minutes I started feeling very nauseous.  About 30 minutes after that I started developing this huge migraine.  Dealt with it and continued on, then started feeling really hot/cold, clamy, etc.  Left work early and threw up at home.  Crashed in bed and slept for the last 13 hours.  Woke up today and threw up again, sinus's are stuffed.  Called off work.  I'm very icky.  :(

The controller should handling 64 drives, or it was 256. It depends on the controller firmware, really. And I'm not sure.

http://www.avagotech...#specifications

http://www.avagotech...#specifications

And you can chain Expander cards, IIRC. 

The 34-36 limit is for the number of drives you can scan at the same time, assuming 120MB/s throughput. This is based on the PCI Express 2.0 8 lane (8x) connection.  This would be an issue for RAID arrays, but because DrivePool isn't going to be using every drive at the same time, it shouldn't be an issue for your Pool.

And I'm very sorry to hear that you're feeling sick. I hope you feel well soon!

• hansolo77 likes this

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#55 hansolo77

hansolo77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:56 PM

UPDATE!

Got my new Motherboard and RAM in the mail today.  WOOT!  Spent the last 3 hours getting it together.  I made a big mistake though.  After applying the Artic Silver 5 to the processor and cleaning off the pre-existing gunk on the Intel Cooler, I went right into installing the cooler onto the board.  But I forgot to lower down the lock arm first! So I had the cooler installed, and the metal plate that secures the processor was still hanging out the back.  DOH!  Hopefully I didn't damage it.  I took the cooler off, re-cleaned it and the processor, CLOSED DOWN THE ARM, and reinstalled the cooler.  Everything boots up.  I had some alerts from DrivePool about drives missing and the license needing transferred (expected that).  The only thing I couldn't figure out is how to configure the BIOS to boot from CD-Rom first (if a disk is in the drive).  I don't need it right away, since I only use that if/when I have an OS crash and need to do a restore.  Still, it would be nice to know how to do that.  I guess I wouldn't need it for the OS Restore if I can get some method of the install onto a USB drive and have that permanently connected to the internal USB plug on the board.  But even that would require some kind of setting in the BIOS that I didn't see.  Maybe it's just because there wasn't something connected to it.  I also am only using LAN1 right now, because I don't have a switch and all my LAN ports on my router are used up.  A switch is definitely on my "to get" list.  Then I can use the 4 NICs and the IPMI.

But all in all, for what it's worth, it's working!  Of course, I only have 1 stick of RAM and the slowest possible Celeron installed.  But it's running!  Fingers crossed it stays that way!  Next up on the "to buy" list.... the HP Expander so I can use the last 8 drive slots in the case, and remove some of the clutter from all these SATA cables.  :)

@ Chris.  You mentioned something a while back about having an option in the BIOS that I can configure that will prevent the LSI controller from displaying it's drive detecting routine.  Do you recall what that was called, and if I have it on this board?  I did find an option called something like "Show Boot ROM option", which I disabled.  All that seems to have done is just make the Full Screen Logo appear longer.  I figure it's still doing all that work in the background, just not displaying it now.

#56 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 07:31 PM

@ Chris.  You mentioned something a while back about having an option in the BIOS that I can configure that will prevent the LSI controller from displaying it's drive detecting routine.  Do you recall what that was called, and if I have it on this board?  I did find an option called something like "Show Boot ROM option", which I disabled.  All that seems to have done is just make the Full Screen Logo appear longer.  I figure it's still doing all that work in the background, just not displaying it now.

It depends on the board. 

On some systems, it's the "interupt 19" setting. But your board doesn't have that.

However, I think I do know where it is.

In the firmware, Boot -> CSM (Compatibility Support Module) -> Launch Storage OpROM policy.

Try changing this, and see if it helps.  Otherwise. ... avoid rebooting.

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#57 hansolo77

hansolo77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:43 PM

I'll take a look next time I'm in there.  The boot up time takes FOREVER now compared to my old board.  This thing takes like 2 minutes before Windows starts loading.  Really driving me nuts.  Thanks for your advice! :)

#58 hansolo77

hansolo77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:38 AM

Just throwing out a request for suggestions on further expansion of my server.  I'm already set on the next couple of buys.. the HP Expander and the upgraded Xeon CPU, plus a few SAS cables and more RAM.  But I'm going to be in the market for a few other pieces of gear.

1 - Rack 

I've been keeping my eyes out on my local Craigslist to see if anybody happens to come up with something to reuse that's cheap.  So far, the best thing I've seen is somebody's custom built plywood shelves on a set of 2x4's.  So, not much.  Sure, I've seen racks.. in the 42u range costing $300-400, that are rusted out, doors hanging off, etc.  The GOOD racks are going for $500 or more.  So I'm looking at the possibility of buying online.  I really doubt I need a 42u size rack.  Looking at options, I'm thinking a 15u rack would suit me just perfectly.  My server is 4u, and if I upgrade to the point where I need another JBOD expansion case, it'll probably 4u too, so that's 8u's with 7 to spare.  I figure 2u for a switch (see below) and 2u for a UPS (also below).  That will leave me with 3u to spare. And that's a big IF on the extra case, so I may not even need something THAT big.  So any suggestions?  I'm seriously contending the one from Norco: (link).  The only downside is a lot of people are giving it bad reviews.  IstarUSA has one similar, but NewEgg has been out of stock for a while on it.  Got any better ideas?

2 - Switch

I've never bought a switch and never really thought I needed one until here in the last couple of years.  Typically, I've purchased a router to go from my Cable/DSL modem I've had, to the 2 computers in our house that would use them.  Ok, that was it, and the classic 10/100 4-port router from NetGear worked great for that.  I even learned the basics of file sharing on it.  Then the day came that I had a PlayStation 2, and could hook it up to the internet also.  Now I had 3 ports in use.  Then I got an HDTV that had a network jack on it for upgrading the firmware (that's all it was for).  So then I had 4 ports.  Things moved along, and I got an iPod touch, with built in Wi-Fi.  Uh Oh, 10/100 wired doesn't do wi-fi.. time to upgrade!  Got a Linksys 4-port WiFi router.  Same plugs for everything else, only now I got WiFi!  Then comes the Xbox 360!  Need another port for my Xbox now too.  I decided to forget the TV's port and decided to use that.  Ok.  Then I decided the bandwith provided by the Linksys is too slow, time to upgrade to Wireless-N!  Then came BluRay.  Sure, the WiFi part works, but it slow and skips a lot streaming Netflix, so I'm swapping my Xbox and BluRay's Lan ports.  Then Dad decided he didn't like having a network cable running across the hall, and we hooked him up wireless.  Then he gets a Bluray player for the Living Room and goes wireless.  Then I get a 2nd Xbox 360 (modded it) and have it wired.  Then I start building a server (whs v1) and it's wired.  Anyway, I keep getting more and more devices, but still only have 4 ports on my router (I've upgraded the router now by the way to a Netgear R6250).  So the time has come for me research the purchase of a switch.  To be 100% honest, I have no idea what I'm getting myself into.  I believe, based on what I've read, all I need is an unmanaged switch.  Something I can connect my router to and just plug all my devices into.  My new motherboard has 5 ports on it (IPMI and 4 LAN), my HTPC currently has 1, Xbox's each have 1, bluray has 1, Raspberry Pi2 has 1, dad's computer has 1.  So that's 11 right there.  I'm probably going to just get a 24-port switch rather than 16.  The price difference is negligible, and I'll have the future proof benefits.  The only thing is, do I WANT unmanaged or would managed be better for my basic home network?  It's just going to be simple internet and file sharing.  Since I've never owned a switch, I don't know how difficult it would be setting it up.  Is it really as simple as plug and play?  How do I assign IP addresses?  How would I tell the router to forward the ports for Xbox Live to the Xbox when it's in the switch and not connected to the router directly?  Would that even work?  Do I need PoE?  So yeah, need a little help. 

3 - UPS
This is another device I've known about for a long time but never gave it much thought as something I should need.  But considering the amount of money I'm spending trying to build a decent server, I'd really hate for it to all go kablooey because of a power outage during a storm or something.  Right now, I have 2 power strips plugged into the same wall outlet (one for each plug, not daisy chained!).  They both have surge protectors on them.  However, I'm always scared when the power goes out that my stuff won't come back, because I've actually had 2 motherboards die on me in the past from storms (although that was back in dialup modem days).  I'd like to ease my mind with a UPS, and have everything connected through that (computer wise, I'm not going all crazy with stuff like the TV, bluray player, etc).  So if I understand correctly, the UPS is plugged into the wall, and stays charged.  Power goes out, and UPS provides x amount of minutes (based on the draw of what's running from it).  The UPS can tell the computer through USB that it is running, and tells the computer to shut down.  This gives the computer a proper shut down, and eliminates the possibilities of corrupted files, damaged drives, blown out circuits.  Power comes back, recharges battery, good for another day.  If that sounds right, then I definitely want one.  Since I'm going to get a rack, I might as well get a rackmount UPS.  I'm thinking of this one (link) but I'm up to suggestions.  This one is kinda expensive but is on sale right now.  If it's on sale now, it will be again.  There's other online stores too, so I'll look around.  I'm just looking for reassurance that I'm on the right track.

4 - Miscellaneous

Is there something else I'm possibly over looking?  Seems like a lot when it's all layed out, but it's really because I like to jabber on when I'm half asleep.  It's kinda my way of forcing myself to stay awake, by drolling on and on.  :)  I'm really just looking for some advice of some basic equipment, and what the general idea for suggestions might be.  I'm completely open on this aspect, since these are things to get in the far off future once I'm up and running with my server.

Thanks guys!

#59 lee1978

lee1978

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:20 AM

Hi you could just buy yourself some rackmount bars off eBay go to your local hardware shop and get them to cut some 22mm mdf to your custome sizes screw the bars on there you go I built mine like that cost me about 30 I needed a case at a specific size for where I wanted it stored.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• Christopher (Drashna) likes this

#60 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:54 AM

Building your own rack is definitely the cheapest solution. :)

But check for Dell or HP or other small racks.  They exist, but yeah, still expensive.  Over priced, even. 

The problem with that Norco rack, is that it's too shallow. Not deep enough. At least for the 4224.  If you notice on their page, they recommend RL-26 for the 4U case. But the description of the rack specifically says it doesn't support it.  

Switches

=======

Managed switches are nice. Powerfully, too.  
Unmanaged switches are just plug and play. They don't have a device interface, so there is no need for an IP Address (so they dont' have one).  A managed switch has a bunch of options, so it has an IP Address (usually static).

For your usage, a regular, consumer grade unmanaged switch is all you need. I used to have a nice XyGel 16 port switch (maybe 12 port) but I grew out of that. Just plug it in to everything ,and you're set.

UPS

====

Every electronic device should have one. A surge protector at least.  But anything that's important, should have a UPS. Especially your server.

If you're power supply is Active PFC, you need to make sure you get a PFC (true sinewave) UPS as well. A "AVR" UPS will cause issues if you're using a PFC rated power supply.

And yes, that's exactly right. It runs on battery, and can shut down the system (Windows handles it pretty much just like a laptop battery, if you don't install the custom software and drivers).

The other advantage is that it filters out power fluctuations. You know when the room lights dim? Yeah, it filters taht. And brown outs. And power spikes.  It filters these out, and provides "cleaned" power to your systems.  

However, while part of the purpose to prevent spikes, I've heard of people losing the computer hardware when there was a lightning strike anyways. This is entirely possible, but ... that's why you should turn the system off and unplug it, if it's risk.

I personally use a CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD for my server. And an older APC model for my network hardware.
It's pricy, but it lasts for about 20 minutes with all my stuff connected to it (which is impressive)

Though, you may be able to find old UPS's on ebay or CL or the like. They may just need a new battery (but those can get expensive. .... but not as expensive as the whole unit usually).

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users