Mac file "too large for the volume's format"

AndrewH

Question

Just upgraded my home server from WHS 1 to WHS 2011 and installed Drivepool and Scanner. I have 3 x 2TB drives and a portion of the system drive configured as a drive pool. All disks are formatted as NTFS. I've configured all of the server's shared folders to live on the Drivepool.

I'm able to transfer files of any size from a Windows 8.1 client to the server but when I attempt to copy a file from a MacPro (running OSX Yosemite) I get the following error message:

The item “XXXX” can’t be copied because it is too large for the volume's format

I've seen this message before when using FAT formatted USB disks but not with a network share.

Any ideas?

14 answers to this question

Hi

I have the exact same issue and the same set up.

I have tried the fix that was provided but this did not work for me.

I am currently running version 1.0.1.6008

Any ideas ?

I have now also upgraded to a later version 1.3.6.7585 and the problem still exists.. Help

I have now also upgraded to a later version 1.3.6.7585 and the problem still exists.. Help

Delete the config file and recreate it. The older config file may not work properly.

If the problem persists, then enable tracing, and reproduce the issue:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Log_Collection

Delete the config file and recreate it. The older config file may not work properly.

If the problem persists, then enable tracing, and reproduce the issue:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Log_Collection

How do you do this because I am having the same problem and that did not work. I would really like to be able to use my ethernet again instead of copying to a flash drive and then having to go out to the garage and transfer the files individually.

Also, would it be possible to just patch this so it isn't an issue?

2.x for windows fixed my WHS 2011 Yosemite >4gb issue.  Any issue running the windows 7 version on server 2011 or with Stablebit scanner?  I noticed it was picked up in the 2011 Dashboard.

thx

No issues at all. In fact, it's designed to work in it (hence the dashboard tab you've already noticed).

I know it's not really visible (we're going to be fixing this soon), but you should notice that WHS2011 is in the "small" list of supported OS's for the 2.X version.