Feature request - context menu with a staple or two?

klepp0906

Question

So I'm sure there are lots of useful reasons for this and lots of entries that could be included, but one that would serve plenty of purposes in and of itself.  Drivepool adding a context menu (perhaps an optinal integrate with explorer checkbox or some such) that allows you to jump from say, a folder or file in your pool - to the actual disk.

ive been a longtime user of voidtools everything.  one of my must-haves.  the problem is, if i try to search a directory and its part of my pool, i get nothing.  I have to go find the mount point and as you can imagine, trying to find which one contains a particular file isnt the ideal way. (i believe in my limited reading on the matter, the actual fix for that is on you guys end atleast as per an old post by the dev). 

having a context menu item to open the items path would give a little bit slower and little bit less convenient way to search a directory or drive with everything but it would be an improvement on what it is now.   I had to choose between no drivepool or breaking everything and i chose drivepool but man im trying to make it as little pain as possible :P

2 answers to this question

On 2/28/2022 at 6:07 PM, klepp0906 said:

ive been a longtime user of voidtools everything.  one of my must-haves.  the problem is, if i try to search a directory and its part of my pool, i get nothing.  I have to go find the mount point and as you can imagine, trying to find which one contains a particular file isnt the ideal way. (i believe in my limited reading on the matter, the actual fix for that is on you guys end atleast as per an old post by the dev). 

If VoidTools Everything is using the USN Journal to search for things, that would be why.  It is not supported on the pool, and you need to fall back to a different method.  

On 2/28/2022 at 6:07 PM, klepp0906 said:

having a context menu item to open the items path would give a little bit slower and little bit less convenient way to search a directory or drive with everything but it would be an improvement on what it is now.   I had to choose between no drivepool or breaking everything and i chose drivepool but man im trying to make it as little pain as possible :P

Do you mean like a context menu in explorer that would jump to the underlying disks for the path in the pool? 

32 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

If VoidTools Everything is using the USN Journal to search for things, that would be why.  It is not supported on the pool, and you need to fall back to a different method.  

Do you mean like a context menu in explorer that would jump to the underlying disks for the path in the pool? 

yes i believe it does use journaling.  
as for context menu, yea if you right cilck on a file or directory you can choose some stablebit specific entry that will take you to the underlying disk/path in the pool/wherever its mounted etc.  would be super convenient and oft used im sure.