"Access Denied" when copying to or downloading from pool folders

dslabbekoorn

Question

I can see and read all the server folders but can not save to or download from them.  Get the "Access Denied" error when I try.  Deleting is gone too, cut and paste does not work.  This just started recently.  Tried the reset permissions tool, but it won't work with Windows Server 2012 Essentials.   Sounds like what I need to do but how?  Worked fine yesterday now this, no updates that I know of.  Help please.

Dave

Edit: Seems I have a drive (drive J, 2 tb) that has gone missing and is refusing to come back, I guess I'm looking for the most painless way to swap out the bad one for a new one, never had to do this yet.  I'd like the data on the missing drive to re-build on the new one when installed. Any help is appreciated.

7 answers to this question

Well, it sounds like the write errors are due to that "missing" disk. That's normal when that happens, actually. This is to prevent the data from potentially from getting out of sync.

As for what to do, is the disk missing? Or does it show up as "RAW"? (check "diskmgmt.msc").  If it's showing up as raw, there are "partition recovery" tools that may fix the issue, and make it rather simple.

Otherwise, you'd want to "remove" the missing/damaged disk from the pool. This should be rather quick. Once that's done, the pool will go back to a working condition and it will run a duplication and balancing pass, as per your settings. 

Then you'd either replace the disk with a new one, or format the "damaged" disk. 

Rebuild, no. 

Specifically, any file not duplicated maybe have been lost. If it was on the "failed" disk, then it's gone (unless you can recover it).

But once the damaged/failed/missing disk is removed from the Pool, StableBit DrivePool will then start a "duplication pass". Which means it will check all the files that are still on the pool. If there are not the proper number of copies of the files, it will create an additional copy on another disk.

You don't even need to plug a new one in, if you have enough space on the remaining disks. 

Cripes I feel like a newbie, while removing and testing the "failed" drive to see if it could be the external housing that failed and not the drive, I swapped out the usb cable used to connect the drive.  Plugged it into my main computer and bingo, there was the drive working fine, tried it on another machine with another cable and same thing, works fine.  Used the old cable again, no drive seen, complete zero.  Bad cable not bad drive.  Put a new cable on the drive and plugged it back into the server.  I had removed the drive from the pool earlier.  Server saw it immediatly and after about an hour of "talking" to the drive it settled down and even gave it the same drive letter as before.  Everything seems the same as before the cable failed.  Still have a problem of copying to the pool, first transfer goes ok, but any after that fail with the access denied error.  Restarting the server cures it, but is more than a little inconvenient.  The "reset pool permissions" (WSS troubleshooter) tool seems to be what I liked to do now, but appears to not want to work with Windows Server 2012 essentials.  Any ideas?

dslabbekoorn:

There is no reason to feel like a newbie there. That's very odd behavior in general. And to be honest, I'd expect more erratic behavior than that from the system for from a bad cable.

As for the access denied issue, I would recommend checking the Event Viewer on the system to make sure there are no "disk" or "controller" errors in the "System" section. If there are, well, there may be another issue there.

As for the Troubleshooter, 

http://dl.covecube.com/WssTroubleshoot/Release/download/Wss.Troubleshoot_1.0.0.165.exe

This link should allow you to download a version that will work on Server 2012 Essentials. 

However, if the issue continues, please enable logging, and try to reproduce the issue. 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

dslabbekoorn...

I'm running into the same issue you were having.  I was wondering if you ended up resolving it, and if so...what was the fix?  The only folders that I have noticed this issue on are duplicated folders.  I'm running the troubleshooter now to fix permissions, which will take a while on my pool I'm sure.

I'm running into the same issue you were having.  I was wondering if you ended up resolving it, and if so...what was the fix?  The only folders that I have noticed this issue on are duplicated folders.  I'm running the troubleshooter now to fix permissions, which will take a while on my pool I'm sure.

Try disabling the "read striping" option and see if that helps.

Also, if you have StableBit Scanner installed on the system, then try running the 'Burst test" on the disks and see if any come back with problems.

In dslabbekoorn's case, the issue was a faulty SATA cable that was causing the problem. The burst test should be able to reveal problems such as that.