Removing Drive for Diskscan?

Riffer

Question

Scanner tells me one of my 4 Volumes in Drivepool is having file system issues. Windows 2011 is not able to fix them because Drivepool is using it, so I decided to remove this specific drive from the pool and scan it later instead of forcing the diskscan and bring confusion into the pool.

Is this the preferred way of doing so? If not what should be done instead?

2 answers to this question

I do not know what is best practice but I do know that in such cases I was told that DSKCHK could not be run becuase the drive was in use but that I could schedule a run for the next boot. I did and restarted the machine. It took a bit longer and then all came up and stuff was done/fixed. Don't exactly remember where the log file of dskchk was written to though.

It's probably not just that DrivePool is using the disks. I've used chkdsk on drives that are in the pool without much issue before.

The best way would be like umfriend has recommended, and that's scheduling a scan at the next boot.

However, if you don't wish to do this, then you can manually run the command to force it. If you know the volume letter in question, you can run "chkdsk z: /f /x", where "z:" is the drive in question. The "/f" forces it to fix the normal issues, while "/x" forces the system to dismount the volume first, preventing access to the drive. This will likely cause the Pool to show a missing disk, as well as be set to a read only state because of this.