Jump to content
Covecube Inc.
  • 0
dslabbekoorn

Monitoring error since upgrade to windows 8.1

Question

I recently upgraded from windows 7 ultimate to windows 8 pro (fun was had by no-one) but on completion, the connector was throwing a "monitoring error" for the upgraded computer.  Everything else worked fine (to my surprise).  Before the upgrade, my computer was not joined to a domain using the "skip domain join" trick widly published.  I don't think the hack stuck over the upgrade.  I decided to uninstall and re-install the connector to attemp to fix the monitoring error issue. Server worked fine, all folders available, and good backups at this point.  After the connector install, a major restart occured and I was forced to log into a domain.  Firefox and other programs had lost all bookmarks and saved info. Connector did not seem to work right and Norton was dead. A lucky system restore later, I was back where I started.  My question is how can I get rid of the monitoring error and keep function on my computer?  I plan to uninstall the connector, re-install the "skip domain join" hack, create a system restore point, then re-install the connector.  A reboot later I should be OK to go.  Will this fix the monitoring error?  Any flaws in my therory?  Any better ideas to try?  My computer seems to work fine now except the annoying monitoring error pop-up.  Any help would be appreciated.

 

Thanks,

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

This is all an in place upgrade, right?

If so..... that may not be the best idea.

 

 

If possible, a clean install is almost always better. Unfortunately.  You can use the "Windows Easy Transfer Wizard" to migrate a lot of the settings over from the old install.

 

 

As for dealing with the computer monitoring error, check the Event Viewer (specifically the Application logs, but system as well), Additionally, there are a bunch of logs in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\". 

 

Also, see about changing the workgroup on the computer to match the server's "domain name" (drop the ".local" part, basically). That may help as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I found my problem(s).  During the upgrade from 7 to 8.1, all the static ip information was deleted, so the client didn't have the proper DNS server info nor was it always calling itself by the proper address.  This happened on all 3 computers I upgraded.  Also, the "skip domain join" regisrty fix disappeared from 2 of the 3 machines on reboot even after appying it again.  Checked this 4 times, and it consistantly disappeared on the 2 computers after a reboot following the application of the fix.  The 3rd machine held the fix fine, even after rebooting.  Once I took all this into consideration, I was able to un-install and re-install the connector on all the machines.  Normal operation resumed immediatly.  The trick is to apply the fix just before running the connector software and don't reboot first.  The DNS/static ip issue cleared up the "computer monitoring error" I was getting after the upgrade.  Guess you can't count on Microsoft upgrading even it's own software properly.  All good now. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...