Delay Time for volumes to mounting - Questions

Spider99

Question

I have a new server that now boots considerably quicker than my old server - in just 5 seconds to the windows login screen

as a consequence not all of the 20+ HDD i have - get a chance to mount in that time and DP then does a remeasure etc on every boot which i am trying to stop as its a long unnecessary process.

So i would like to change the time that DP waits for the volumes to mount but its a bit confusing as there are three different options with "time" values

CoveFs_WaitForVolumesOnMount (Default: "True") - Some volumes arrive late in the boot process so DrivePool will wait for all the volumes to arrive before allowing the pool drive to mount. The delay is adaptive, so it will be different for each system. Turning this off might shorten boot times, but is not recommended because it could expose a partially populated pool drive to system services that start right after booting.
CoveFs_WaitForVolumesOnMountMs (Default: "10000") - How long to wait for all the volumes to arrive in MS.
CoveFs_WaitForKnownPoolPartsOnMountMs (Default: "10000") - (Newer pools may be aware of it's parts) If a pool is aware of how many pool parts it's made of, at mount time, it will wait for all of those pool parts to arrive before allowing the OS to finish mounting the pool.
CoveFs_WaitForPoolsAndPoolPartsAfterMountMs (Default: "10000") - How long the service will wait for all of the detected pools to finish mounting, and then for all of the known pool parts to get recognized on those pools.

so 10 seconds is too quick

do i need to change all three to a larger value

or is the first option the one i need to change - so DP waits x seconds to "see" all the disks before it mounts the poolparts and the service runs up etc

as i want the pool to mount as quick as it can without triggering a remeasure on each boot

Just after some clarity

2 answers to this question

From what I can figure out from trawling the manual and changelogs:

• CoveFs_WaitForVolumesOnMountMs (Default: "10000") - How long to wait for all the volumes to arrive in MS.

This is usually for older pools (pools that don't initially know how many poolparts they should be waiting for). DrivePool will wait at most this long between detecting the first poolpart folder and mounting the corresponding pool drive.

• CoveFs_WaitForKnownPoolPartsOnMountMs (Default: "10000") - (Newer pools may be aware of it's parts) If a pool is aware of how many pool parts it's made of, at mount time, it will wait for all of those pool parts to arrive before allowing the OS to finish mounting the pool.

This is usually for newer pools (pools that do initially know how many poolparts they should be waiting for). DrivePool will wait at most this long for those poolparts to finish being detected before mounting the corresponding pool drive.

• CoveFs_WaitForPoolsAndPoolPartsAfterMountMs (Default: "10000") - How long the service will wait for all of the detected pools to finish mounting, and then for all of the known pool parts to get recognized on those pools.

This is for all pools, and is how long DrivePool will wait at most for all pools to complete mounting and all known poolparts to be recognised before starting other DrivePool processes such as missing disk detection, file duplication, balancing, user notifications, etc. Appparently this also particularly helps with Bitlocker drives.

So in your case I think maybe increase the first two to something a little larger and the last one to at least as large as the first two? E.g. 15000, 15000, 15000, or maybe 20000, 20000, 30000? The minimums will depend on your system.