Maintain full local copy?

pmcfarland

Question

I currently have DrivePool stitching together a combination of local drives as well as some CloudDrives. So far everything has been fine, but I'm trying to plan for the failures I don't know about. Is it possible to have DrivePool maintain a complete local copy of the data I have stored. As in worst case scenario, Google drops off the face of the earth and my CloudDrives are gone for good. I want to make sure that I could carry on with the local storage I have until I could add more or link to a new provider, etc. I have tested with some file placement rules and I can deselect the cloud drives which makes sure that that directory, or files are kept local, but I'm hoping there is some way I could apply this globally and have it use the cloud for a duplicate or at least prefer local storage.

4 answers to this question

I think I see what you're getting at; you need to take advantage of DrivePool's ability to nest pools.

I.e. you would create a Pool A using your local drive(s), a Pool B using your cloud drive(s), create a third Pool C using Pools A and B as "drives" and turn on duplication for all of Pool C.

The result is that anything stored in Pool C will always have at least one copy locally (kept in a hidden folder in Pool A) and one copy in the cloud (kept in a hidden folder in Pool B).

If you also wanted to have multiple copies locally you would then turn on duplication for Pool A, or at least for the Pool C's hidden folder in Pool A.

And so on and so forth.

21 minutes ago, pmcfarland said:

I'm trying to plan for the failures I don't know about.

+1 Me too. I'm signing on to this thread to see what kind of responses you get so I can learn too.

24 minutes ago, pmcfarland said:

Is it possible to have DrivePool maintain a complete local copy of the data I have stored. As in worst case scenario, Google drops off the face of the earth and my CloudDrives are gone for good. I want to make sure that I could carry on with the local storage I have until I could add more or link to a new provider, etc. I have tested with some file placement rules and I can deselect the cloud drives which makes sure that that directory, or files are kept local, but I'm hoping there is some way I could apply this globally and have it use the cloud for a duplicate or at least prefer local storage.

I was thinking you could have a special DrivePool 2X folder(s) for your files that you want to be sure had a local copy, and then deselect your Cloud drives for duplicate data. That way, you could write the original file to the cloud drive and the backup copy be on your local DrivePool drives.

But maybe I'm missing something here because on my cloud service drives, I already have the option to keep a local copy on my HDD in case the internet is down or inaccessible. Nothing to do with DrivePool, but I usually access my cloud drive files from my local copy, update the file as necessary, and then the cloud drive service will update the local file to the cloud in the background.

In my case, I only have free cloud service drives and only use the cloud for files that I want to share via the internet between computers at home or if I hit the road. So I have maybe 1 cloud drive file and about 4 local copies (one on each computer). If the internet should go down, I still have 4 local copies of those files on my desktop and laptop computers and everything should have be sync'd up in the background. That works fine for my free accounts which are 5GB or less, but would not probably work for large media storage needs.

@pmcfarland, I like the suggestion by @Shane.

The more I use DrivePool, the more I like it. There are usually many ways to accomplish something you need with DrivePool and there is built in flexibility to accommodate just about any need. Although I have not yet worked with nested pools, I do take advantage of DrivePool duplication set down to the folder level. About 95% of my DrivePool is home media storage that I don't need duplication. So I have saved lots of money by only duplicating the 5% of data that I need to duplicate and not having to designate the entire pool for duplication. In my older hardware RAID system or Windows Storage Spaces, I had to designate the entire pool for duplication.