Advice Needed: Restoring System Drive from Week-Old Image

GDog

Question

Hi All,
I am running WHS2011, 92TB Server, 65TB used, 98% Duplicated, 29 Physical Disks, DrivePool v2.2.2.934. I need to RESTORE my System Drive from a Macrium Reflect Image done about a week ago to resolve an issue unrelated to DrivePool or the Pool, that cannot be resolved any other way.

My question is if I do that, can DrivePool recover from this and get my Pool back to where it was without any loss of Data saved after the Restore image? Also, is there any specific procedure I need to follow to prevent Data loss, like disconnecting all drives beforehand etc etc.?

Thanks for any help,

Gary

3 answers to this question

If your Pool had no, and has no, poolpart folders on the System Drive (or to put it another way, you have not added the System Drive as a drive for a pool), then the Pool should not suffer any data loss by a restore of the System Drive. Even if the image was taken before DrivePool was installed, you would simply reinstall DrivePool and it would automatically detect and display any pool(s).

Drivepool does store some of its settings (e.g. balancing) and logs in the ProgramData\Stablebit DrivePool folder tree, which defaults to being on the System Drive; if you have changed any DrivePool settings since the image was taken then those settings and logs will be reverted to what was present at the time of the image. You may wish to separately backup the content of the ProgramData\Stablebit DrivePool folder tree before restoring the old image if this is the case.

However, if your System Drive is now, or was then, being used as a drive for a pool, further measures will need to be taken to maintain pool integrity.

Shane:
Hi, and thanks for your help! The answer as to whether I am using any part of my system drive as part of the Pool, is NO - Never. My System Drive has never been anything other than the System Drive. It is a 300GB WD Raptor partitioned into a 160GB C-Part and the remainder as a D-Part. The D-Part has always shown up as being available to add to the Pool, but I have never done it.

I was planning to either run the Restore from Windows > Macrium Reflect App, which if memory serves me, sets up a special Boot path and then requires a Reboot of the PC, ... OR, I could just boot from the Restore USB I created inside Macrium Reflect. Which of these choices do you think would be best - or maybe it doesn't matter. Running Macrium Rescue from inside Windows is a lot faster and less prone to boot issues I think.

I had NOT planned on disconnecting the Drives, just doing the Restore and Rebooting. Is there anything I need to do to make sure I don't lose any data?

Thanks Shane,
Gary

Since your pool has never been on your system drive then your pool's data shouldn't be affected by reverting the system drive to an earlier time. Even if the restore attempt were to leave the system drive in a non-bootable state, you could simply start a fresh Windows install or attach your pool drives to a different bootable Windows machine, install DrivePool and have access to your data.

I'm not familiar with how Macrium Reflect does system drive restores to say which (app or USB restore) would be better/faster.