DrivePool - very slow to load and show pools after boot.

Kraanvelt

Question

Hi,

I bought DrivePool a couple days ago and it was running great for the first day. Since I have been plagued by it working correctly for 1-2 boots, then every boot afterwards takes approximately 10 minutes to load DrivePool upon logging in to Windows 10, I can open it but it said loading with the time taken so far. During this time the drive pools are inaccessible. I have had brief luck in waiting for it to load, then resetting the settings in DrivePool and then... reconfiguring the balancing (SSD Optimisation only). However, this is not an ideal situation. 

Does anyone have any ideas than may permanently resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance. 

2 answers to this question

I think I recall having something like that happen to me (years ago). If you have an antivirus program installed, try temporarily uninstalling the antivirus (not just turning it "off", actually uninstalling) and see if the problem goes away? If it does, you might need to file a bug report with the vendor or switch to a different antivirus program.

On 11/9/2020 at 7:31 PM, Kraanvelt said:

Hi,

I bought DrivePool a couple days ago and it was running great for the first day. Since I have been plagued by it working correctly for 1-2 boots, then every boot afterwards takes approximately 10 minutes to load DrivePool upon logging in to Windows 10, I can open it but it said loading with the time taken so far. During this time the drive pools are inaccessible. I have had brief luck in waiting for it to load, then resetting the settings in DrivePool and then... reconfiguring the balancing (SSD Optimisation only). However, this is not an ideal situation. 

Does anyone have any ideas than may permanently resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance. 

I have my DrivePool set up on my desktop server/computer with Windows 10 Pro, which is running 24/7. So I seldom reboot that machine. When I do reboot, I really don't see much of a delay in reloading DrivePool. If DrivePool goes into a remeasure mode, I can still access all my files. When DrivePool starts up, are all your pool drives found and online? The only delay in loading I have ever seen is when a drive(s) are not found on the reboot.

I also have a 248GB SSD on my DrivePool. At first I had it set to balance whenever I had 1GB of data to move, but later I changed that to 100 GB before it will perform a balancing operation. That works better for me because now I use that 100 GB on the DrivePool SSD as a super fast cache drive. Works great for zipping and unzipping files on the SSD. Temp files are also directed to the SSD cache. If I want to re-balance the SSD before it hits 100 GB, then I just do that manually. It appears to me that limiting the re-balancing to only when 100 GB of cache data on the SSD needs to be moved has made my DrivePool and everything else faster.