Not being able to enable duplication.

hoboist

Question

I have a working Drivepool (I can save/open some files on Drivepool), but I have a question: How can I add 'other files' to the pool and enable duplication (more/better)?

My - possible related - problems are:
1) When I click  Manage Pool -> File Protection -> Pool File Duplication I get the message "Task failed: invalid/incorrect folder/directory name" (in Dutch).
2) "Invalid folder" is also mentioned when I click on the ◷-sign on the left. However, I have no idea what could be the wrong folder.
3) There are a lot of 'Other' Files (from 1TBe, 8TB, 2TB in the screenshot), but all files are in the Poolpart folder (so I'd expect only a few gigs maybe outside the pool, not 1,7 TB). How can I readd the files on that disk to the pool?
4) When I hover my mouse over Pool Organization, I see: Duplication Inconsistent. Clicking on the ▲ arrow next to the Pool Organisation and clicking Rebalance / re-check does nothing.
5) All calculating is done and the pacman-like ᗧ symbol on the left is still indicating 'Statistics are incomplete'. x2 is shown, but 'only' 964GB is duplicated and I'd like that other files/folders are duplicated too. I understand that this may not be possible always because of the different sizes of disks, but I'd say that it there would be a lot more duplicates possible than now.

These numbers above correspond with the numbers on the screenshot I added.

I tried:
- Troubleshoot -> reset all settings
- ▲ next to Pool organisation -> Rebalance / Re-check duplication
- Remove files/folders from the hidden Poolpart folder and adding them again
- Removing drives with 'other files' (when computer switched off), then removing them from pool and then add them to the pool again after I connected the drives again.

I hope someone knows what to do next and could give me some hints what to do next?

probleem Drivepool.png

7 answers to this question

i think the "other" is part of your problem - if all the files are in the poolpart dir and nothing other than system vol info is outside the poolpart the other is files it is having an issue with so puts them in the other box.

try a remeasure of the pool - that might improve things and sort out the inconsistent situation - everything will go to other initially - dont panic! :) 

another thing to check - are the permissions correct on those drives with other - i.e. does dp and the user its running under have rights to those files/folders etc

Thank you for your reply.

i think the "other" is part of your problem - if all the files are in the poolpart dir and nothing other than system vol info is outside the poolpart the other is files it is having an issue with so puts them in the other box.

What do you mean with the other is files it is having an issue with so puts them in the other box? How can I know which 'other files' are having an issue?

try a remeasure of the pool

I already did that, and if I do that the bar indicates 'measuring'. I assume it is finished if there is no text 'measuring' anymore? Or should a wait a few hours longer?

another thing to check - are the permissions correct on those drives with other - i.e. does dp and the user its running under have rights to those files/folders etc

I did reset the permissions using the steps mentioned here (14 january 2018):

Arjan

remeasure can take a long time - hour or so on my 64tb pools  - depending on speed of disks and the number of files - more files longer it will take.

if DP - does not like a file it puts it in the "other" category (box) as its not considered part of the pool

The user that DP runs under needs to have rights to all the files in the pool - ownership/read/write etc - i.e. full access - why did you change them - did you have an issue or did you do it anyway?

if you have reset them maybe they did not get copied to each sub folder and file - or when you copied the files to the pool or when you created the pool they had old permissions which are conflicting and causing DP issues. Look in the DP log are you seeing permission errors or any errors?

8 hours ago, Spider99 said:

if DP - does not like a file it puts it in the "other" category (box) as its not considered part of the pool

I think this is confusing. Yes, when you remeasure, DP shows all data as Other at first until it is clear what is Pooled data (on within that, what is duplicated and unduplicated). By default however, Other relates to data on the drives comprising the Pool that resides outside of the hidden PoolPart.* folders. This is data that does occupy space on the Pooled drives but is not actually in the Pool itself. I am not convinced OP's issue has anything to do with Other.

@OP: Have you tried to read the manual? It points to some logfiles that you can try to have a look at. It is unfortunate that the message you get is rather generic.

Met vriendelijke groet ;)

Yes, I understood that 'other' data should be outside the Poolpart.* folders. That's why I didn't understand why my 'Other' part was that large even after waiting very long (I mean: there was no 'calculating/measuring indicating anymore at the bar and the only folder was Poolpartxyz123...: I even deleted System Volume Information and Recycler from that drive). However, I now 'just' moved the data from X:\Poolpartx\* to Y:\Poolparty\* (so from within the poolpart folder to a poolpart folder of another drive). It may be not that efficient, and I don't know why, but after I moved the files, there are (almost) no Other files anymore.

So, the only problem that remains is being able to set the files to duplicate, since the 'invalid folder' message is popping up then.

@UmfriendDank je :) for pointing out the logfiles, I'll try to find what my 'invalid folder' may be. Do you have any idea if Drivepool have problems with Unicode or with very long path names?

"other" is any file it does consider part of the pool - so very much the problem the op had even if permissions related

if the files were "ok" then they would have been part of the pool

unicode is double byte characters to support non ascii characters - umlauts etc and windows/Dp supports those already