Covecube Inc.
HTWingNut

MISMATCH Checksum Hash Values with DrivePool

Question

After much angst, I realized that READ STRIPING can affect the calculated checksum hash value of a file. Turning off read striping enables consistent hash checksum values.

IS THERE ANY WAY TO DISABLE AND ENABLE READ STRIPING FROM COMMAND LINE?

I run a batch script for my backups every evening and recently added a hash check. It looks like I need to disable read striping otherwise hash checksum values are affected.

If  the read striping could be toggled from a command line, it could be turned off before backup and back on after backup. Otherwise I have to leave read-striping disabled if I want to use any kind of integrity check.

2 answers to this question

Ok, I will open a ticket.

Problem is it's not consistent and it's somewhat difficult to reproduce. It seems to happen more often with large files. I ended up with a few dozen files while getting checksum of over a couple hundred thousand files. This occurred with sha1 md5 blake2.

The strange thing is that if I get an SHA1 hash of a file on a known good drive (not in DrivePool), for simplicity say checksum equals "123456ab". If I copy that file to DrivePool and with read-striping off, hash equals "123456ab".  If I enable read striping and this anomaly occurs hash is now say "412453bf". But if I copy that file even with read-striping on to another external drive, the hash is equal to "123456ab". So it's not like the file changes. After turning off read-striping, I ran another checksum of all the files and everything was fine.