Please help with my balences settings

thedinz

Question

Hello, 

Now i know this comes up alot just from reading the forums but i for one am not here to complain. I feel like i figured it out but its still not working properly for some odd reason, Let me get into the details and please refer to the attached screenshots.

I am using the Ordered file placement balencer exlusivly.

I have 4 drives that are labeled simply

Media 1

Media 2

Media 3

Media 4

This is my pool

and they are in that order. Im trying to achevie what many other users are trying to acheive which is keep certains folders together and for me, that is simply tv show seasons. I do not care if it spreads movies across the drives in fact i want that, but i want to keep TV shows together so what i did was create a rule that says all TV shows stay on Media 2 and all movies can be spread accross the remaining 3 drives.

My settings are such so that the drives fill up to 90% or 60GB free and media 1 is set to be the first drive that fills up and currently has 512GB free yet drivepool is still putting movies on Media 3 and Media 4. Well why isnt it filling up Media 1 as are my settings?

It also keeps telling me that there is X amount of data that could not be moved because it could not find a suitable destination, check that there is enough space yada yada. This is false, the suitable destination is Media 1 and has plenty of space, currently its complain it cant move 15GB to said drive, why?

At this point i fully prepared to take the blame and says its my settings which is why i have provided the screenshots, do you see anything i am doing wrong? If not, whats the fix?

** I guess i cant attach all these files due to size restrictions, please see my onedrive gallery.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoZHq6ui5vKmkK4Zyqq7bHYcjI75TA?e=DpbQQm

3 answers to this question

I think the answer could be in the Notes of the Ordered File Placement plugin:

* By default, this plug-in will override any folder based or pattern based file placement rules. In order for folder based 
  or pattern based rules to take priority over this plug-in you can change the balancing settings on the "Settings" tab 
  as follows:
    * UNCHECK "File placement rules respect real-time file placement limits set by the balancing plug-ins."
    * CHECK "Balancing plug-ins respect file placement rules."
    * UNCHECK "Unless the drive is being emptied."

However, I don't think you even need to use the Ordered File Placement plugin for your use case. If you just want all your TV shows together in 'Media 2', the File Placement rules you have set will accomplish that. I don't know what the Order File Placement plugin is doing for you at all...

Very sorry for letting this get past me.   

What Milo has quoted is correct.  The Ordered File Placement balancer plugin significantly changes the behavior of the pool, and interacts with how the file placement rules work. 

Additionally, you should disable all of the other balancers on the pool, except for the StableBit Scanner balancer, as there are potential interactions with the other balancers. 

Additionally, it may help to set the balancing ratio to 100%, to make the balancing more aggressive.