Can drivepool handle files larger than drive?

Joe Charm

Question

I really don't like Windows server backup because it has to occur within 1 drive only, no spanning. I was thinking that I could use drivepool to make a new pool for my backups using other windows software for the backup itself. This software uses standard zip files for backup, however that would make one file that would be in the neighborhood or several terabytes large, which would be bigger than any one drive that I have in my system. Would drivepool be able to handle something like that or not?

I would probably be backing up to an external USB enclosure containing 4 drives and I would like to make them into a backup drivepool. Also, most of the data that I am backing up would be movies, 5 to 6 gig each.

2 answers to this question

No, DrivePool cannot store files larger than the individual hard drives.  You would need a RAID setup with parity to protect against a drive failure for that.  If you are also backing up data from your existing pool, then I would suggest excluding it from the backup and using duplication to store copies of the files on different hard drives within the pool.  Then you would only have to worry about backing up non-pooled data.  You will need the storage space one way or another, so having the space in the pool where you can use it is better in my opinion.

Otispresley is right. Since DrivePool is a file based solution, any one file must be smaller than the largest drive to be stored there.

However, if the program you're using uses ZIP files, (or any other compressed file type) they usually have the option to break up the file into smaller parts. Suitable for downloading or transporting.